Welcome To Chromeless!
This project is highly experimental, rapidly changing, and probably insecure. As the project matures, this notice will change.
This "main app HTML" is basically a normal webpage, but with several important differences:
The HTML file has access to a 'window.require()' function that it can use to access new APIs that give it increased priviledges.
(untrusted) Web content can be rendered inside iframes which are children of the top level "main app HTML". This content cannot tell its rendered inside an iframe, and has no special access to the main app context.
Several new events and conventions are introduced. For instance, the title of the top level browser HTML is the name of the running process (not yet implemented), new, non-standard events are available to the top level browser HTML which give it a priviledged view (and control) over embedded web content.
- OSX 10.5 and later, Windows XP and later, or probably a modern versions of linux (32 or 64 bit).
- Python 2.5 - 2.7 (3 is not supported); Python 2.6 or 2.7 are recommended (testing isn't as thorough with 2.5).
The top level
chromeless python script is capable of several things:
- running a browser when provided a path to 'browser HTML'
- packaging a browser as a xulrunner package, or a standalone exectuable (not yet implemented)
- running unit tests (not yet implemented)
- generating static documentation for all current APIs (not yet implemented)
To get started, you should clone this repository (or download a versioned snapshot) and run:
(win32) C:\xxx\chromeless> chromeless (osx) $ ./chromeless
By default, the HTML files in
examples/first_browser will be executed, and you'll see a very
simple browser based on them. You may also specify an alternate browser HTML on the command line:
(win32) C:\xxx\chromeless> chromeless examples\webgl (osx) $ ./chromeless examples/webgl
From here, you can inspect the implementation of any of these samples, copy, modify and explore.
For deployment or to share your application, you can use chromeless to generate a standalone application folder, that anyone on a supported platform can run. Output will be placed in the build/ directory:
(win32) C:\xxx\chromeless> chromeless appify examples\webgl (osx) $ ./chromeless appify examples/webgl
Finally, it's possible to generate a "XULRunner application", which is a folder that is much smaller than a standalone application, but can be run under (a specific version of) xulrunner. Again, the output will be placed in the build/ directory:
(win32) C:\xxx\chromeless> chromeless package examples\webgl (osx) $ ./chromeless package examples/webgl
Documentation and Additional Information
To generate a local API documentation, use:
(win32) C:\xxx\chromeless> chromeless docs (osx) $ ./chromeless docs
You may also check the online pages, plus
inline examples can also be helpful. You can always find us on irc in
irc.mozilla.org, or get help or discuss this project on our mailing
Notes and Known Issues
- You need to pass a relative path to your application when you invoke chromeless script
- This version only packages your files that are under your main application directory. So if you use, for example, jquery in a sub-directory, it will not be bundled. Make sure you have all your files in the same directory.
- With Mac OSX, if you launch the application for tests ( not passing package option ), the keyboard output will show in the console and not in the browser screen. For Mac OSX, you may need to use the "package" argument and install in your machine.
- It works with some specific versions of XULRunner. And to help out developers, the chromeless script will fetch a XULRunner SDK.
All files that are part of this project are covered by the following license, except where explicitly noted.
Version: MPL 1.1/GPL 2.0/LGPL 2.1 The contents of this file are subject to the Mozilla Public License Version 1.1 (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/ Software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" basis, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing rights and limitations under the License. The Original Code is chromeless. The Initial Developer of the Original Code is the Mozilla Foundation. Portions created by the Initial Developer are Copyright (C) 2010 the Initial Developer. All Rights Reserved. Contributor(s): Alternatively, the contents of this file may be used under the terms of either the GNU General Public License Version 2 or later (the "GPL"), or the GNU Lesser General Public License Version 2.1 or later (the "LGPL"), in which case the provisions of the GPL or the LGPL are applicable instead of those above. If you wish to allow use of your version of this file only under the terms of either the GPL or the LGPL, and not to allow others to use your version of this file under the terms of the MPL, indicate your decision by deleting the provisions above and replace them with the notice and other provisions required by the GPL or the LGPL. If you do not delete the provisions above, a recipient may use your version of this file under the terms of any one of the MPL, the GPL or the LGPL.