.. toctree:: :hidden: :titlesonly: :maxdepth: 3 changelog user/index api/index man/index contact
pip install mutagen
sudo apt-get install python-mutagen python3-mutagen
Where do I get it?
$ git clone https://github.com/quodlibet/mutagen.git
Quod Libet has more strenuous requirements in a tagging library than most programs that deal with tags. Therefore we felt it was necessary to write our own.
- Mutagen has a simple API, that is roughly the same across all tag formats and versions and integrates into Python's builtin types and interfaces.
- New frame types and file formats are easily added, and the behavior of the current formats can be changed by extending them.
- Freeform keys, multiple values, Unicode, and other advanced features were considered from the start and are fully supported.
- All ID3v2 versions and all ID3v2.4 frames are covered, including rare ones like POPM or RVA2.
- We take automated testing very seriously. All bug fixes are committed with a test that prevents them from recurring, and new features are committed with a full test suite.
Real World Use
Mutagen can load nearly every MP3 we have thrown at it (when it hasn't, we make it do so). Scripts are included so you can run the same tests on your collection.
The following software projects are using Mutagen for tagging: