Simple Features for R
A package that provides simple features access for R. Package sf:
- simple features are
tibbleswith a geometry list-column
- represents natively in R all 17 simple feature types for all dimensions (XY, XYZ, XYM, XYZM)
- interfaces to GEOS to support the DE9-IM
- interfaces to GDAL, supporting all driver options, Date and DateTime (
POSIXct) columns, and coordinate reference system transformations through PROJ
- uses well-known-binary serialisations written in C++/Rcpp for fast I/O with GDAL and GEOS
- directly reads from and writes to spatial databases such as PostGIS using DBI
- is extended by pkg lwgeom for further liblwgeom/PostGIS functions, including spherical geometry functions
(Illustration (c) by Allison Horst)
Blogs, presentations, vignettes, sp-sf wiki
- package vignettes: first, second, third, forth, fifth, sixth
- blog posts: first, second, third, fourth
- the original R Consortium ISC proposal, the R Consortium blog post
- presentations: rstudio::conf 2018 (video), UseR! 2016
- wiki page describing sp-sf migration
Install either from CRAN with:
this will install binary packages on Windows and MacOS, unless you configured R such that it tries to install source packages; in that case, see below.
Install development versions from github with
The easiest way to install
gdal is using Homebrew. Recent version of homebrew include a full-featured up-to-date gdal formula:
brew install gdal
Once gdal is installed, you will be able to install
sf package from source in R.
Alternatively these instructions explain how to install gdal using kyngchaos frameworks.
For Unix-alikes, GDAL (>= 2.0.0), GEOS (>= 3.3.0) and Proj.4 (>= 4.8.0) are required.
To install the dependencies on Ubuntu, either add ubuntugis-unstable to the package repositories:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install libudunits2-dev libgdal-dev libgeos-dev libproj-dev
or install dependencies from source; see e.g. an older travis config file for hints.
The following command installs all required dependencies:
sudo dnf install gdal-devel proj-devel proj-epsg proj-nad geos-devel udunits2-devel
Get gdal, proj and geos from the main repos and udunits from the AUR:
pacman -S gdal proj geos pacaur/yaourt/whatever -S udunits
Multiple GDAL, GEOS and/or PROJ versions on your system
In case you use dynamic linking (installation from source) and have multiple versions of these libraries installed (e.g. one from ubuntugis-unstable, another installed from source in
/usr/local/lib) then this will in general not work, even when setting
LD_LIBRARY_PATH manually. See here for the reason why.
Functions and methods that require
st_make_valid and all spherical or ellipsoidal metrics (area, distances), have since sf 0.5-5 been moved to their own package, lwgeom, which is also on CRAN.
- Contributions of all sorts are most welcome, issues and pull requests are the preferred ways of sharing them.
- When contributing pull requests, please adhere to the package style (in package code use
<-; don't change indentation; tab stops of 4 spaces are preferred)
- This project is released with a Contributor Code of Conduct. By participating in this project you agree to abide by its terms.
This project gratefully acknowledges financial support from the