HERE LIES THE MAGIC
Okay, quick rundown of how this app came to be.
- I heard about Google's new Chromecast Screen Mirroring feature and its limited availability.
- I decompiled the new Chromecast apk to see what I could find.
- I ran a
grep -r mirror | grep string | grep mirror(I only run grep mirror the second time for color control)
- That spat out a few strings about mirroring!
- Oddly enough, a week or two before, @zhuowei taught me about modifying Google Applications by messing with the Google Play Services Database.
- So, just to try, I pulled out my old Kindle Fire HD 7" (2012) and tested it.
- Luckily enough, it worked!
- I then copied and pasted and changed some code from #DebugAllTheThings and voila! You have an app that can enable/disable mirroring on the device that it's running on!
- At first, it would require a reboot, but I found that by force-closing com.google.android.gsf, com.google.android.gms, and com.google.android.apps.chromecast.app, the database's changes were recongized without needing a reboot.