Bloccit is a Reddit replica that lets users post, comment, and vote on links and content.
- The app is deployed on Heroku: https://bloccit-rc.herokuapp.com
- The source code is here on GitHub: https://github.com/rachelcolby11/Bloccit
Setup and Configuration
Languages, Libraries, and Frameworks: Ruby on Rails, jQuery, AJAX, Bootstrap
Ruby version 2.2.0
Databases: SQLite (Test, Development), PostgreSQL (Production)
Development Tools, Gems and Methodologies include:
- Test-Driven Development: RSpec, Capybara, FactoryGirl
- Amazon Web Services (S3) for image storage
- Devise for user authentication
- SendGrid for email notifications
- Redcarpet for Markdown formatting
- Will_paginate for pagination
- Pundit for authorization
- Environment variables were set using [Figaro] (https://github.com/laserlemon/figaro) and are stored in config/application.yml (ignored by git).
- The config/application.example.yml file illustrates how environment variables for SendGrid and Amazon Web Services should be stored.
####To run Bloccit locally:
- Clone the repository
- Create and migrate the SQLite database with
- Start the server using
- Run the app on
- Users and guests (those without accounts) can view public topics, posts, and comments.
- Users can create their own accounts in order to view private topics and posts and create their own posts and comments.
- Users can format their posts using Markdown.
- Users can favorite posts they like and vote posts up or down.
- Posts are organized by topic and sorted by their rank (determined by age and number of votes).
- Users can choose to receive email notifications when there are new comments on a post they have favorited.
- Users can upload images to use in their posts and as their avatar.