The Buzz is a Ruby on Rails application that allows users to create wikis and collaborate on other wikis -- like a smaller, trendier version of Wikipedia. The Buzz lets users share knowledge about whatever is on their mind and read what everyone's buzzing about. Users can pay to upgrade their membership, allowing them to view and create private wikis.
- The app is deployed on Heroku: http://thebuzzz.herokuapp.com
- The source code is here on GitHub: https://github.com/rachelcolby11/TheBuzz
Setup and Configuration
Languages and Frameworks: Ruby on Rails and Bootstrap
Ruby version 2.2.0
Databases: SQLite (Test, Development), PostgreSQL (Production)
Development Tools and Gems include:
- Devise for user authentication
- SendGrid for email confirmation
- Redcarpet for Markdown formatting
- Pundit for authorization
- Stripe for payments
- Environment variables were set using [Figaro] (https://github.com/laserlemon/figaro) and are stored in config/application.yml (ignored by git).
- The config/application.example.yml file illustrates how environment variables should be stored.
####To run The Buzz locally:
- Clone the repository
- Create and migrate the SQLite database with
- Start the server using
- Run the app on
- Users can create a standard account in order to create, edit, and collaborate on public wikis using Markdown syntax. Anyone can view public wikis.
- Users can pay to upgrade their account to Premium in order to view and create private wikis.
- Premium users can allow others to view and collaborate on the private wikis they create.
- Premium users can downgrade their account back to Standard.
- When a user downgrades his or her account, his or her private wikis will automatically become public.