Wrapt is a Ruby on Rails application that allows users to create a wishlist of gifts and view their friends' lists as well. Users can access up-to-date wishlists from their friends and family all in one place, and update their own wishlist at any time, making gift-giving easier and more gratifying for everyone involved.
- The app is deployed on Heroku: https://wrapt.herokuapp.com
- The source code is here on GitHub: https://github.com/rachelcolby11/Wrapt
Setup and Configuration
Languages and Frameworks: Ruby on Rails and Bootstrap
Ruby version 2.0.0
Databases: SQLite (Test, Development), PostgreSQL (Production)
Development Tools and Gems include:
- Devise for user authentication
- SendGrid for email notifications
- Pundit for authorization
- Environment variables were set using [Figaro] (https://github.com/laserlemon/figaro) and are stored in config/application.yml (ignored by git).
- The config/application.example.yml file illustrates how environment variables should be stored.
####To run Wrapt locally:
- Clone the repository
- Create and migrate the SQLite database with
- Start the server using
- Run the app on
- Users can create an account, make a profile describing their preferences, and create a list of gifts they would like to receive.
- Users can share their profile and gift list with other users, allowing them to view their preferences and desired items.
- Users can invite friends and family to join the site and view their gift list.
- Users can view a list of friends who can see their gift list, and a list of friends who have allowed them to view their lists.
- Users can add, edit, or remove items from their gift list, and update their profile and preferences at any time.
- Users can restrict viewing permissions on items so that only certain friends can see them.
- Users can "claim" an item they plan to purchase. (The person who created the item cannot see that the item has been claimed.)
- Seven days after claiming a gift, users receive a reminder to purchase the gift or release their claim so that others can purchase it.
- Users can create, edit, and delete quick notes of gift ideas they think of.
- After signing in, users are directed to a dashboard showing the items they have claimed, the notes they have made, and a list of friends whose birthdays are approaching within the next three months.
- Users who still need to fill out their profile or add their birthday will see a reminder to do so at the top of the dashboard.