- proxyMITY is an open source software product.
- Published lecture that are released under the Creative Commons License by Attributions 2.5 are edited and prepared for distribution using proxyMITY.
- When you switch ON the tablet you will see on the screen, the display similar as shown in the figure below.
- Click on the launcher icon provided on the right hand side of the screen of the tablet as shown in the figure below.
- Then you will see on the screen all the application present in the tablet.
- Then click on the Aakash Applications icon present in the tablet as shown in the figure below.
- On click of the Aakash Applications icon you will see the icons of all the applications present in the tablet. Select the proxyMITY icon as shown in the figure below.
- To view the lecture using SD card/pendrive, select the SD-card button icon as shown in the figure below.
- To view the lectures using Wi-Fi , select the WiFi button icon as shown in the figure below.
View lecture from proxyMITY
View lecture using SDCard/Pendrive
- The lectures videos which are to be viewed using proxyMITY must be present in the SDCard/pendrive.
- Insert the pendrive/SD card in the USB slot provided on the top right hand side of the Aakash tablet.
- Wait for 10 seconds for the pendrive/SD card to be detected by the Aakash tablet.
- A message stating PREPARING SD CARD will be displayed on the notification bar on the top of the Aakash tablet screen.
- This means the pendrive/SD card is ready for use.
- Now in the Aakash Applications select the proxyMITY icon. A list of lectures will be displayed as shown in the sample figure below.
- From the above list of videos the user can select any one of them.
- If u click on the right arrow then it displays structure of the video and transcripts.
- If u click on the left arrow a list of video lectures will be displayed as shown in figure below Figure(4.9)
View the lecture using Wi-Fi connectivity
- Connect Aakash Tablet with Wi-Fi.
- Now in the Aakash Applications click on the proxyMITY-WiFi icon.
- Select the menu button present on top as shown in figure below.
- Then ‘Wifi-Setting’ option in menu is displayed as shown in the figure below.
- A dialog box is displayed with an input text field as shown in figure below
- Enter the IP address of the server from where you want to fetch the video lecture. (eg: 10.105.14.224)
- Select OK to confirm.
- Then you will a list of video lectures present on the server as shown in the figure below.
- To navigate through the video lecture select the arrow button placed on the extreme right hand side of the video lecture display as shown in the figure below.
- A list of topics will be displayed on the extreme right.
- Select the desired topic to view.
- To bookmark from particular time in the video lecture select the menu button present on top.
- Click on the menu button and select the bookmark option as shown in the figure.
- Click on the bookmark option and the bookmark tab will be displayed as shown in the figure below
- You can select the bookmark from My Bookmarks tab to view the video lecture present in the SD-card/pendrive/server from the time as saved in the My Bookmark.
- To create a new bookmark click on new Bookmark option and the new bookmark option tab will be displayed as shown in the figure below.
- Then you have to enter the Video name and the Bookmark Tag.
- The start time is the time of the video lecture when you selected the bookmark option from menu.
- Now select Add Bookmark button to save the bookmark.
- When bookmark is saved, a message is displayed as shown in the figure below.
The bookmark is the saved in the My Bookmarks tab as shown in the figure below
- To update/delete the bookmark in the My Bookmark tab keep that particular bookmark pressed till you see a dialog box as shown in the figure below.
- Now you can update/delete that particular bookmark.
Drag And Drop
- By clicking on the left arrow a list of videos will be displayed as shown in the figure
- The user can select any one of videos among them and they can easily drag and drop it at the centre as shown in the figure below.
- The video is then played.
- This feature provides the overall description of the particular video on the right side.
- By clicking on the particular sentence we can navigate in the video.
- By clicking on the toggle button we can extend the part of transcripts.
- After listening all the lectures the student can attend the quiz session in order to test their understanding.
- The Quiz session contains questions and each question contains four choices and as shown in the figure below.
- By clicking on next button,the next question is displayed after completing the quiz click on the submit button as shown in the figure below.
- Then the result is displayed as shown in the figure below
Summary and Conclusion
- First we implemented the tree structure using ExpandableListView into a Sliding Drawer. The required XML was parsed using XML Pull Parser.
- This implementation was tested in Aakash tablet. The video files stored in the android device will be displayed through a List View in android.
- Video View was used to display the video.
- Seek to function was added with each topic to play the video from particular position. Both these features were integrated and again tested in the tablet. Menu for Bookmarks and Browse srt file was created using the Menu and Menu Items class in Android. For saving the new bookmarks Sqlite Database was used. For playing subtitles along with the video the corresponding file can be searched through a list of srt files.
- After Every 15minutes there will be a quiz session for better understanding of the topic.
- Transcripts also implemented for better understanding so that user can simultaneously listen and read the topic.