#Containers and Cloud Foundry Hands-On Labs
Needless to say you'll need a laptop! Any OS is fine, but make sure to install the following software prior to the session:
Prerequisite 1: Install Git (or "brew install git").
Prerequisite 2: Registered for a Bluemix account that is still current (trial Bluemix accounts are available at http://console.ng.bluemix.net). Contact the instructor for a promotion code for a bump in the quota. Please note down the
password which will be used to login via the
Prerequisite 3: Install the The
cf CLI from [https://github.com/cloudfoundry/cli#downloads] (https://github.com/cloudfoundry/cli#downloads) - download the latest version that is appropriate for your laptop and follow the instructions in README.txt.
Prerequisite 4: Install the
ic plugin for the
cf CLI based on directions at https://www.ng.bluemix.net/docs/containers/container_cli_cfic.html
##Samples and General Directions
Each directory is in a separate sub-directory. Ensure that you're in the sub-directory when you're working on a particular exercise and you're issuing the CLI commands from the subdirectory pertaining to the exercise.
We've also provided a choice of samples. The instructions will refer to the PCF-demo sample application at https://github.com/ragsns/PCF-demo but they can be applied to the NodeJS app. or other Java apps as well.
##Recommended Exercises - User Related
It is recommended that you run through these exercises sequentially since they are progressive with some dependencies. Each exercise should take about 5-10 mins. to complete.
- Exercise 1: Target the Cloud Foundry Instance
- Exercise 2: [Push your application] (exercises/ex2)
- Exercise 3: [manifest.yml and more CLI commands] (exercises/ex3)
- Exercise 3c: [Containerize the Application] (exercises/ex3c)
- Exercise 4: [Connect to a service] (exercises/ex4)
- Exercise 4c: [Connect a Cloud Foundry Service to a Container] (exercises/ex4c)
- Exercise 5: [Scale your application] (exercises/ex5)
- Exercise 5c: [Scale Containers] (exercises/ex5c)
- Exercise 6: [Health Monitoring] (exercises/ex6)
- Exercise 6c: [Recoverability of Containers] (exercises/ex6c)
- Exercise 7: [Draining logs] (exercises/ex7)
- Exercise 7c: [Container logs] (exercises/ex7c)
IBM Containers documentation at [https://www.ng.bluemix.net/docs/containers/container_index.html] (https://www.ng.bluemix.net/docs/containers/container_index.html)
IBM Containers CLI documentation at https://www.ng.bluemix.net/docs/containers/container_cli_reference_cfic.html
Please contact me on Twitter @ragss.