MovieSearcher makes it possible to get information about a movie. It uses IMDB's API that their iPhone applications rely on.
Follow me on Twitter for more info and updates.
What makes this gem so awesome?
MovieSearcher has a really cool feature (method) called
find_by_release_name that makes it possible to search for a movie based on the release name.
You can for example specify Heartbreaker 2010 LIMITED DVDRip XviD-SUBMERGE and it will return the not to good Heartbreaker by Pascal Chaumeil
So how do I use it?
Get a movie by its imdb id
movie = MovieSearcher.find_movie_by_id("tt0468569") movie.title # => "The Dark Knight" movie.rating # => 8.9 movie.certification # => "PG-13"
Find a movie based on the release name
MovieSearcher.find_by_release_name("Heartbreaker 2010 LIMITED DVDRip XviD-SUBMERGE").imdb_id # => tt1465487
Find a movie based on a folder
MovieSearcher.find_by_folder('~/Downloads/Its.Kind.of.a.Funny.Story.2010.DVDRip.XviD-AMIABLE') # => #<ImdbParty::Movie:0x10198a060 ... >
Find a movie based on a file containing and imdb link
This method does not take any folder that starts with tilde ~ sign.
MovieSearcher.find_by_file('/Users/linus/Downloads/Its.Kind.of.a.Funny.Story.2010.DVDRip.XviD-AMIABLE/its.kind.of.a.funny.story.2010.dvdrip.xvid-amiable.nfo') # => #<ImdbParty::Movie:0x10198a060 ... >
Find a movie based on a downloaded thingy (folder or file)
This method takes anything that you have download and tries to figure out what movie you're talking about. If a folder is passed it will list all text files in the folder and try to find an imdb link. If no link or no files are found, it will fall back on the name of the folder.
MovieSearcher.find_by_download('/Users/linus/Downloads/some_thing_unknown') # => #<ImdbParty::Movie:0x10198a060 ... >
Find the top 250 movies of all time
MovieSearcher.top_250 # => [#<ImdbParty::Movie:0x10178ef68 @imdb_id="tt0111161", @poster_url="http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTM2NjEyNzk2OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjcxNjUyMQ@@._V1_.jpg" ... >, ...]
Get the currently popular tv shows
MovieSearcher.popular_shows # => [#<ImdbParty::Movie:0x101ff2858 @imdb_id="tt1327801", @poster_url="http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTYxMjYxNjQxNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTU5Nzk4Mw@@._V1_.jpg", @year="2009", @title="Glee">, ... ]
Some configure alternatives
You can pass some options to the
find_by_release_name method to specify how it should behave.
Here is an example.
MovieSearcher.find_by_release_name("Heartbreaker 2010 LIMITED DVDRip XviD-SUBMERGE")
What is being returned?
These are the accessors of
ImdbParty::Movie, the object being returned from
find_by_release_name for example.
- imdb_id (String) The imdb id of the movie.
- title (String) The title of the movie.
- directors (Array) Related directors.
- writers (Array) Related writers.
- tagline (String) The movie tagline.
- company (String) Company who made the movie.
runtime (String) The length of the movie,
120 minfor example.
- rating (Float) The movie rating, from 0 to 10.
- poster_url (String) Movie poster. Beaware, this image might expire. Use tmdb_party if you want posters and images.
- release_date (Date) The release date of the movie.
- certification (String) The certification of the movie, R for example.
- genres (Array) The most relevant generes for the movie.
- actors (Array) Related actors.
trailers (Hash) Related trailers. The key defines the quality of the trailer, like
H.264 480x360and the value specify the url.
directors accessors returns an
ImdbParty::Person object that has the following accessors.
- imdb_id (String) The imdb id of the person.
- role (String) What role did the actor have in the movie. This is only set when working with an actor.
- name (String) The actual name of the actor.
This sounds supr, how do I help?
- Start by copying the project or make your own branch.
- Navigate to the root path of the project and run
- Start by running all tests using rspec,
- Implement your own code, write some tests, commit and do a pull request.
MovieSearcher is tested in OS X 10.6.6, 10.6.7 using Ruby 1.8.7 and 1.9.2
MovieSearcher is released under the MIT license.