A plugin for installing and managing Redis, an advanced persistent key-value store. Currently this, like Moonshine's Rails recipes in general, is Ubuntu/Debian-specific.
- script/plugin install git://github.com/railsmachine/moonshine_redis.git
- Configure settings if needed. You may specify:
- Package architecture. Default is amd64.
- Version. Default is 2.4.17, but should work fine with 2.6+
- enable_on_boot in case you want to disable starting the service on boot at system-level (useful if you want god to do it instead, for instance). Default is true.
- ruby_client to optionally install the given version of the redis client library as a rubygem. This also accepts latest as a value, which will install updated versions if available each time your Moonshine manifest is applied. Default is none.
- max_fd to adjust the maximum number of open file descriptors allotted to Redis by the shell that launches it. Servers with a high number of connections may need to specify a value here. A typical default is 1024. Versions of Redis released prior to this commit have a compiled-in upper limit of 10240.
For example, in moonshine.yml:
:redis: :version: 2.0.1-2 :arch: i386 :ruby_client: 1.0.7 :enable_on_boot: false :max_fd: 4096
Include the recipe in your Moonshine manifest
Available configuration options in the
:redis: section of moonshine.yml, their default and an explanation if needed:
- :version: 2.4.17
- :restart_on_change: true # should redis restart after its config files change?
- :port: 6379
- :bind: 0.0.0.0
- :loglevel: notice
- :databases: 16 # Number of databases to run with. 16 should be enough for almost all uses.
- :saves: # how often to write the rdb file based on number of changes per time period (ie: 1 change, save every 900 seconds)
- - 'save 900 1'
- - 'save 300 10'
- - 'save 60 10000'
- :rdbcompression: false
- :slaves: # an array of 'slaveof IP PORT', defaults to none.
- :masterauth: # defaults to no authentication. If you want a password, :masterauth: should be set to that password.
- :requirepass: false
- :maxclients: 0
- :maxmemory: 0
- :appendonly: false
- :appendfsync: everysec # this is the default for redis and the recommended setting.
- :vm_enabled: false # warning: virtual memory has been removed in 2.6 and won't be added to the config file if you have version set > 2.4
- :vm_max_memory: # defaults to unset
- :vm_page_size: # defaults to unset
- :vm_pages: # defaults to unset
- :vm_max_threads: # defaults to unset
Virtual Memory and Redis
We highly recommend setting the sysctl setting
vm.overcommit_memory. Thankfully, moonshine_systcl can help with this. Just install the plugin and then add the following the config/moonshine.yml:
:sysctl: vm.overcommit_memory: 1
You'll also need to add
recipe :sysctl to your manifest.
Unless otherwise specified, all content copyright © 2014, Rails Machine, LLC