This unofficial GitHub mirror has been retired.
Thanks to everyone who helped and gave suggestions for this mirror!
Emacs Mac Port
What is this?
This is "Mac port" addition to GNU Emacs 24. This provides a native GUI support for Mac OS X 10.4 - 10.10. Note that Emacs 23 and later already contain the official GUI support via the NS (Cocoa) port for Mac OS X 10.4 and later. So if it is good enough for you, then you don't need to try this.
If you find a bug, then please try to reproduce it with some official builds such as X11 or NS (Cocoa). If it turns out to be specific to the Mac port, then please report it to email@example.com. Otherwise (i.e., it is also reproducible with official ones), report it using M-x report-emacs-bug USING THE OFFICIAL BUILD as such.
This build has many features, a great number of which are particularly helpful for Mac users. You can see the full list here.
Without clone and compile, just download from
If you'd like to install with Homebrew, please
$ brew tap railwaycat/emacsmacport
$ brew install emacs-mac
To disable this tap, please:
$ brew untap railwaycat/emacsmacport
Use the build script
Build a self-contained Emacs.app with build-emacs.app.sh
Build from the latest
Get the latest code from git repository
If you are new here:
$ git clone git://github.com/railwaycat/emacs-mac-port.git
If you cloned this repository before:
$ git pull
Follow the step h. i. j. in the build instructions
You can SKIP step a. b. c. d. e. f. and g. because code in this repository was patched already.
Macports (the package manager) also have emacs-mac-port, with package name "emacs-mac-app". It's not maintained by me.
Switch meta and option key - https://gist.github.com/3498096
An Emacs.app CLI starter, modified from Aquamacs - https://gist.github.com/4043945
- Emacs 24.4.90 with emacs-24.4.90-mac-5.4
- Emacs 24.4 with emacs-24.4-mac-5.3
- Emacs 24.4 with emacs-24.4-mac-5.2
- Emacs 24.4 with emacs-24.4-mac-5.1
- Emacs 24.4 with emacs-24.4-mac-5.0
- Emacs 24.3 with emacs-24.3-mac-4.8
- Emacs 24.3 with emacs-24.3-mac-4.7
- Emacs 24.3 with emacs-24.3-mac-4.6
- add a more modern looking icon, PR #37. (Thanks, @tpanum)
- Emacs 24.3 with emacs-24.3-mac-4.5
- clean up and convert README file to Markdown by @masondesu (Thanks, Mason Stewart)
- PDF patch, mark as 4.4.1
- Emacs 24.3 with emacs-24.3-mac-4.4
- Emacs 24.3 with emacs-24.3-mac-4.3
- Emacs 24.3 with emacs-24.3-mac-4.2
- Emacs 24.3 with emacs-24.3-mac-4.1
- Emacs 24.3 with emacs-24.3-mac-4.0
- Emacs 24.3-rc1 with emacs-24.3-rc1-mac-3.94
- merge emacs-mac.rb enhancement by @arnested (Thanks, Arne Jørgensen)
- Emacs 24.2.93 with emacs-24.2.93-mac-3.93
- Emacs 24.2.92 with emacs-24.2.92-mac-3.92
- Emacs 24.2.91 with emacs-24.2.91-mac-3.91
- Emacs 24.2.90 with emacs-24.2.90-mac-3.90
- high resolution toolbar icons
- toolbar-on patch
- Emacs 24.2 with emacs-24.2-mac-3.3
- Emacs 24.2 with emacs-24.2-mac-3.2
- Emacs 24.1 with emacs-24.1-mac-3.1
- macfont patch for 10.8
- fix emacs-mac.rb for homebrew
- Emacs 24.0.97 with emacs-24.0.97-mac-2.93
- Emacs 24.0.96 with emacs-24.0.96-mac-2.92
- Emacs 24.0.95 with emacs-24.0.95-mac-2.91
- Emacs 24.0.94 with emacs-24.0.94-mac-2.90
- HiDPI mode patch@03/05
- Emacs 23.4 with emacs-23.4-mac-2.0
- Emacs 23.3.90 with emacs-23.3.90-mac-1.9998
- Emacs 23.3b with emacs-23.3b-mac-1.9997
- Emacs 23.3a with emacs-23.3a-mac-1.9996
- Emacs 23.3a with emacs-23.3a-mac-1.9995
- Emacs 23.3a with emacs-23.3a-mac-1.9995
- Emacs 23.3 with emacs-23.3-mac-1.9993
- add "build-emacs.app.sh"
- Emacs 23.3 with emacs-23.3-mac-1.9992
- Emacs 23 bzr with emacs-23.2.93-mac-1.9991
- Emacs 23.2.94 with emacs-23.2.93-mac-1.9991
- Emacs 23.2.93 with emacs-23.2.93-mac-1.9991
- Emacs 23.2.92 with emacs-23.2.92-mac-1.9990
GNU Emacs is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
GNU Emacs is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
See COPYING for full details.