Announce: Rakudo Perl 6 compiler, Release #129 (2018.12)
On behalf of the Rakudo development team, I’m very happy to announce the December 2018 release of Rakudo Perl 6 #129. Rakudo is an implementation of Perl 6 on the Moar Virtual Machine[^1].
This release implements 6.c and 6.d versions of the Perl 6 specification.
6.c version of the language is available if you use the
version pragma, otherwise 6.d is the default.
Upcoming releases in 2019 will include new functionality that is not part of 6.c or 6.d specifications, available with a lexically scoped pragma. Our goal is to ensure that anything that is tested as part of 6.c and 6.d specifications will continue to work unchanged. There may be incremental spec releases this year as well.
The tarball for this release is available from https://rakudo.org/files/rakudo.
Please note: This announcement is not for the Rakudo Star distribution[^2] — it’s announcing a new release of the compiler only. For the latest Rakudo Star release, see https://rakudo.org/files/star.
The changes in this release are outlined below:
New in 2018.12:
- Fixed infiniloops with some set operators [99d94db4][9f5cc8d1]
- Fixed regression in handling of
- Fixed use of
Proxyin a class attribute using the
- Fixed semantics of
maxpairs(ignore undefined values) [7bf7a2c6]
- Fixed error on
@a > 2if
@ais a native array
- Fixed error reporting on initializing shaped array with improperly shaped data [fd216fec]
- Negative indexes on native arrays are now checked properly [dd2af90c]
- Fixed use of uninitialized value in
- Enums can now have private methods mixed in [3c2cfb22]
- Fixed resource content lookup for
- Fixed precompilation when cwd gets changed at run time [e2e5cc53]
- Shared library versions are now ignored on OpenBSD [5603128e]
- Many improvements to the JS backend [1865db0d][fdd249a3][194c84b9] [1dd59f10][52c2af5d][8b13655c][2869a48b][cf5432ae][758caa89] [e0b943d0][a759f9d7]
- Various improvements to produced messages [869b9e58][abfb9a40] [79824db5][55d08c8f][24c8e172]
Endianenum and implemented new methods in
buf8for reading/writing native values [46d4c9fe][011c6f11][f66861dc] [f0279313][b781f8cc][543219c9][06156a7c]
.native-descriptorfor async sockets [a4db9139][2fd90b1e]
.Realmethod to native arrays [dd3f91a2]
<$rx>interpolation 1.05x as fast [62243cd9]
- Made simple regex matches 1.05x as fast [01c56b48]
- Other minor optimizations [93ea7ed1][a0cb89a7][adb85609][6c2f3c83]
- Introduced a more generally usable
- Internal micro-optimizations [38bc682b][f18432ea]
- Introduced a more generally usable
The following people contributed to this release:
Paweł Murias, Elizabeth Mattijsen, Aleks-Daniel Jakimenko-Aleksejev, Stefan Seifert, Jonathan Worthington, Ben Davies, Petr Rockai, Nick Logan, Samantha McVey, Timo Paulssen, Momo
If you would like to contribute or find out more information, visit https://perl6.org, https://rakudo.org/how-to-help, ask on the firstname.lastname@example.org mailing list, or ask on IRC #perl6 on freenode.
Additionally, we invite you to make a donation to The Perl Foundation to sponsor Perl 6 development: https://donate.perlfoundation.org/ (put “Perl 6 Core Development Fund” in the ‘Purpose’ text field)
The next release of Rakudo (#130), is tentatively scheduled for 2019-01-19.
A list of the other planned release dates is available in the “docs/release_guide.pod” file.
The development team appreciates feedback! If you’re using Rakudo, do get back to us. Questions, comments, suggestions for improvements, cool discoveries, incredible hacks, or any other feedback – get in touch with us through (the above-mentioned) mailing list or IRC channel. Enjoy!
Please note that recent releases have known issues running on the JVM. We are working to get the JVM backend working again but do not yet have an estimated delivery date.
[^1]: See http://moarvm.org/
[^2]: What’s the difference between the Rakudo compiler and the Rakudo Star distribution?
The Rakudo compiler is a compiler for the Perl 6 language. Not much more.
The Rakudo Star distribution is the Rakudo compiler plus a selection of useful Perl 6 modules, a module installer, Perl 6 introductory documentation, and other software that can be used with the Rakudo compiler to enhance its utility.