Oric 48K in MiST and SiDi FPGA
Oric-1 and Oric Atmos re-implementation on a modern FPGA.
There is one version made and ported by Gehstock at github , but it's far to be functional like an Oric. Gehstock's version for MiST board was realeased as a proof of concept with only 32KB RAM (no oric existed with that memory, only 16K ,48K and 64K)(64KB is real RAM) so there were errors managing HIRES mode) and no way to load audio tapes and lots of graphics errors on screen.
What can you expect from Oric 48K in MiST and SiDi FPGA ?
This project began in november 2019 with the aim to preserve the Oric's computer family into fpga.
Actually Oric 1, Oric Atmos and Microdisc are fully functional.
- ULA HCS10017.
- VIA 6522.
- CPU 6502.
- Full 64KB of RAM.
- Keyboard managed by GI-8912.
- Sound (AY-3-8910).
- switchable ROM (between 1.1a ATMOS version and 1.0 ORIC 1 version).
- Tape loading working (via audio cable on the RX pin).
- Oric Microdisc implementation vía CUMULUS
- Disc Read / Write operations fully supported with EDSK (The same as amstrad cpc) format.
- Disc Sedoric/OricDOS Operating System Loading fully working
- Debugging, checking for possible bugs at video and improving the core.
- None at the moment..., but if You find one, let Us know, please.
HOW TO USE AN ORIC 1 & ATMOS WITH MiST, MiSTica and SiDi FPGA boards.
Create a directory called ORIC at your sd's root and put inside the disc images to work on
- Once the core is launched:
- F10 - NMI button, acts like original ORIC NMI
- F11 - Reset. Use F11 to reboot once a DSK is selected at OSD
- F12 - OSD Main Menu.
- Activate FDC controller at OSD MENU
- Select an Image from /ORIC directory, exit OSD and press F11. System will boot inmeddiately
The Oric Fpga preservation TEAM
Ron Rodritty: Team coordination and QA testing.
Fernando Mosquera: FPGA guru.
Subcritical: Verilog and VHDL.
ManuFerHi: Hardware consulting.
Chema Enguita: Oric Software gurú
SiliceBit: Oric hardware Gurú
ZXMarce: Hardware support 24/7...
Ramón Martínez: Oric hardware, Some software, and fpga coding.
Slingshot: SDRAM work and advisor.
Kudos to: Sorgelig, Gehstock, DesUBIKado, RetroWiki and friends.
About disk images.
Despite of the .dsk extension, Disk images are the defacto standard edsk for disk preservation (also known as "AMSTRAD CPC EXTENDED FORMAT"). To convert images from the oric "dsk" to the needed "dsk" you need the [HxCFloppyEmulator software] (https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_drive_emulator/HxCFloppyEmulator_soft.zip).
Load the disk oric disk and export it as CPC DSK file the resulting image should load flawlessly on the Oric. This images are also compatible with fastfloppy firmware on gothek, cuamana reborn, etc working with real orics.
almost all the Oric games dont have joystick support, but you can "map" the most used keys to a joystick adding thist to your mist.ini file.
[oric] joy_key_map=1,4f ; cursor right joy_key_map=2,50 ; cursor left joy_key_map=4,51 ; cursor down joy_key_map=8,52 ; cursor up joy_key_map=10,2c ; button A as SPACE joy_key_map=40,28 ; button SEL as ENTER joy_key_map=80,44 ; button STA as F11
In the dsk directory, you will find some disk images in the proper format.
- SEDORIC 4.0 operating System disk image redistributed with permission from Symoon.
- Blake's 7 game, redistributed with permission of chema enguita you can download manual and additional info from Defence force
- Oricium game, redistributed with permission of chema enguita you can download manual and additional info from Defence force
- Space:1999 game, redistributed with permission of chema enguita you can download manual and additional info from Defence force
- 1337 game, redistributed with permission of chema enguita you can download manual and additional info from Defence force
- Torreoscura game, redistributed with permission of Bieno. you can download manual and additional info from itch.io
- El prisionero game, redistributed with permission of Bieno. you can download manual and additional info from itch.io