Reads Data From Central Bank of Costa Rica
The Central Bank of Costa Rica provides many economic indicators on its website (http://www.bccr.fi.cr/indicadores_economicos_/), which can be downloaded in Microsoft Excel format one table at a time.
The objective of this package is to simplify the process of finding, downloading, and tidying the data. In particular, this package provides functions to:
- Search for indicators by partial name matching (say, "IPC" to find consumer price indices).
- Download several indicators in a single call, by providing their table numbers.
- Substitute commas and periods to match R's decimal representation.
- Tidy up the resulting table (one column per indicator).
- Create a date index for the tables.
- Change the frequency of time series (say, from daily to monthly).
- Merge all downloaded tables into a single data.table object.
This package is NOT endorsed by the Central Bank of Costa Rica. It is shared by the author to help fellow researchers in the task of obtaining Costa Rican data; however, no warranty is provided as to the reliability of the package.