Chicuelo made a very elegant and polished theme for EmulationStation, aptly called Chicuelo. He has a very fine grip on colors and presentation (figures the man is a designer). I adore his theme specially the contrast between plain background and exorbitant colors of flyers/ pictures, since I primarily use Attrcat-Mode I decided to port Chicuelo's theme to AM.
All the credit for this theme (Chicuelo-Mix) goes to Chicuelo. Design decisions, artwork placement, font selection etc were all made by him. To show my appreciation and respect to the original author I have tried my best to keep this theme as close to original as possible. Since EmulationStation and Attract-Mode are two different applications I had to to tweak somethings, a list of changes is listed under differences header.
Again to drive the point home, this here, is merely a port of an excellent theme. The credit for this great theme rests solely with Chicuelo.
- Original Theme Thread: https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/15830/chicuelo-theme
- Original Theme (GitHub): https://github.com/chicueloarcade/es-theme-Chicuelo
Lastly I've found Attract-Mode forums to be very helpful, this here is my little bit of contribution for the community :)
- Exceptionally fine tuned, elegant and polished theme
- Currently supports 1920x1080 (16:9) resolution, but easy to tweak to other resolutions since we deal with few artwork items. Also the dimesnions are listed in plain numbers so upsizing/ downsizing won't be a huge problem.
- Lightweight, should work with most systems
- Highly Cutomizeable, Just by changing the System pictures you can create a very different look.
- Easy to Expand: Easy to add more systems, all you will need are a few artwork items (provided emulation for said system works).
Attrcat-Mode is completely Portable. That means different Attrcat-Mode installations in different folders operate in isolation and don't effect each other. For this theme/ layout I HIGHLY recommend that you download and use a seperate version because _WARNING!!!_ If you copy the contents of this theme over an old instance of Attract-Mode, some of your settings (including romlists) will be overwritten. This repo is made with new users in mind and tailored to keep things as simple as possible, so I have made some pre-configured files which WILL OVERWRITE old installation files. If you are familiar with Attrcat-Mode's working then only download /layout/Chicuela Mix v1.0 and place it in /layouts.
- Download Attract-mode and Unzip. File is located here
- Keil's Shuffle module is already added in download.zip, if you are only downloading the layout part make sure to get it https://github.com/keilmillerjr/shuffle-module and place it in /modules else skip this step.
- Fetch the latest release candidate from release page. Extract it and paste the contens (6 folders and 6 files) on top of Attract-Mode folder, allow all overwrites. If you are only seeking the layout, download the release candidate, extract it and place "Chicuelo Mix" folder in /AM/layouts, this folder includes all artwork assets/ fonts etc utilized in theme.
- Start Attract-Mode, Press Tab for Settings. Change controls and restart.
- Everything should be operational now as far as DisplaysMenu go.
- Theme has two layout.nut files, For gamelists go to AM > Settings > Displays > [System] > Layout Options and Select layout_games
Up/ Down: This is a layout with vertical flow, so selection in "DisplaysMenu" and "SystemMenu" is via up and down mapped on keyborad or gamepad.
right/ left: Right & Left are disabled on "DisplaysMenu" and only work in "SystemMenu" where they jump to next display in same platform head. Right/ left can be mapped ot gamepad/ keyboard.
Adding or Removing Systems/ Romlsist:
- If you want to add systems, then add an [emulator].cfg file in /emulators (examples are given) just make sure that name of [emulator].cfg matches with the system name in theme (example genesis is named Sega Genesis in theme and thatshow you should name it). Then generate a romlist from within Attrcat-Mode.
- If you already have pre-made romlists/ [emulator].cfg, rename them according to theme and make sure you edit [Emulator] part of romlist to reflect the changes.
- Adding a new system will require adding a line about it in relevant DisplaysMenu romlist. Console will be added to Consoles.txt, Arcades to Arcades.txt and so on. All systems in original are already added in pre-made lists. I f you want to add more then make sure to follow the already filled systems in DisplasMenu configs. Common mistake is not adding "@" in Emulator field.
- If you want to remove a system add a "#" before it in its related DisplayMenu.txt romlist. Example for removing Amiga which is a computer system open Computers.txt in /romlists and place a hash (#) before its listing, AM will not list it anymore.
Differences b/w Port and Original:
- Added DisplaysMenu/ PlatformsMenu because calling some text assets otherwise would have required making direct enteries in layout.nut
- Converted Logo SVG to PNG as Attract-Mode does not support SVG at the moment
- Changed system names from abbreviated EmulationStation form to standard titles as Attract-Mode does not support ES's abbreviations directly.
- Changed NeoGeo to SNK NeoGeo MVS, Changed PC/DOS to DOS
- Cosmetic Changes like animation effect on arrows & sounds while browsing
- This theme will continue to mimic the original. Additions (if any) will not deviate from original.
- Game list sizes at the moment have to be manually added and can't be called via layout, this will be updated once i figure out how to do it.
- Sounds are a bit of mismatch, I might update them to get a more Arcade like feel.
This theme was created solely by Chicuelo, I have merely ported the theme to Attrcat-Mode. All the credit goes to Chicuelo and huge thanks to him for sharing his great work with the community.
General Attract-Mode Stuff:
Having no know how of squirrel language, I have relied extensively on knowledgeable members of Attrcat-Mode forums and picked a lot form their posts. Specially keilmillerjr, oomek, jedione, progets, hermine.potter, liquid8d, zpaolo11x, kent79, calle81 & qqplayer. I'm prolly not remebering a lot of other names but thankyou for all the help.
- Shuffle Plugin from "Keil Miller Jr" from
note: I have added shuffle plugin in the repo and download file because new users tend to make mistakes in placing modules/ plugins. The most updated version will always be at Keil's orignal page and I encourge all to use original shuffle repo for keeping the plugin updated and also keep an eye on Keil's other plugin's which can add a lot of quality of life additions to Attract-Mode.
- Roboto: https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Roboto
- Roboto-Light-Uppercase: Is a modified version of Roboto, edited by FontForge to only show Uppercase charachters
All the artwork is from Chicuelo's Chicuelo theme unless noted otherwise.
Artwork Exceptions are listed below.
- Consoles Display: Sonic & Mario by "Banjo2015" from "Super Mario and Sonic the Hedgehog"
- Handhelds Display: Kirby and Pals from GBA's title "Kirby and Amazing Mirror" promotion material
- Collections Display: Artwork by "PittStone"
direct link : https://retropie.org.uk/forum/assets/uploads/files/1533157868633-custom-collections.jpg
- Mario Collection Display by "PittStone"
direct link: https://retropie.org.uk/forum/assets/uploads/files/1533154481452-mario.jpg
Controller images taken from Chicuelo's original ES theme, design proportions within layout/ placement etc is from Chicuelo. Most Controller images originated from OpenEMU (opensource bitmaps) I'll list the orignal authors (taken from Chicuelo's Repo Readme):
Controller artworks by "Ricky Romero"
- Atari 2600
- Atari 5200
- NeoGeo Pocket Color
- Nintendo 64
- Nintendo DS
- Sega Saturn
- Sega SG-1000
- Sony PSP
- Virtual Boy
Listed on: https://dribbble.com/RickyRomero/projects/113063-OpenEmu
Contrioller artworks by "Craig Erskine".
Controller artworks by "David McLeod"
- Sega Game Gear
- Sega Genesis
- Nintendo GameBoy Advance
- Sega Master System
- Nintendo Famicom
- Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES)
- Nintendo entertainment System (NES)
Listed on: https://dribbble.com/Mucx/tags/openemu
Controller artworks by "Memory Noise"
- NEC PC-FX
- Bandai Wonderswan (Swancrystal)
- Atari Lynx II
Listed on: https://dribbble.com/memorynoise/tags/openemu
(Note: I have not been able to get in touch with "David McLead" and "Memory Noise", the bitmaps are a part of OpenEMU an openasource project so I am hoping that sharing them won't be a problem. In-case original creators object I'll remove the bitmaps)
- Mario Bros Collection
- Nintendo Famicom Disk System
- SNK NeoGeo MVS
- "menu_selection_01.wav" is "Menu Selection Click" by "NenadSimic" as found on
https://freesound.org/people/NenadSimic/sounds/171697/ (Creative Commons License)
- "coin_01" is "Coin_C_03" by "cabled_mess" as found on
https://freesound.org/people/cabled_mess/sounds/350870/ (Creative Commons License)
- "Turn_page_01" is "TurnPage" by "partheeban" as found on
https://freesound.org/people/partheeban/sounds/457767/ (Creative Commons License)