Metasploitable3 is a VM that is built from the ground up with a large amount of security vulnerabilities. It is intended to be used as a target for testing exploits with metasploit.
Metasploitable3 is released under a BSD-style license. See COPYING for more details.
To use the prebuilt images provided at https://app.vagrantup.com/rapid7/ create a new local metasploitable workspace:
mkdir metasploitable3-workspace cd metasploitable3-workspace curl -O https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rapid7/metasploitable3/master/Vagrantfile && vagrant up
Or clone this repository and build your own box.
Building Metasploitable 3
- OS capable of running all of the required applications listed below
- VT-x/AMD-V Supported Processor recommended
- 65 GB Available space on drive
- 4.5 GB RAM
- Vagrant Reload Plugin
- VirtualBox, libvirt/qemu-kvm, or vmware (paid license required)
- Internet connection
To build automatically:
- On Linux/OSX run
./build.sh windows2008to build the Windows box or
./build.sh ubuntu1404to build the Linux box. If /tmp is small, use
TMPDIR=/var/tmp ./build.sh ...to store temporary packer disk images under /var/tmp.
- On Windows, open powershell terminal and run
.\build.ps1 windows2008to build the Windows box or
.\build.ps1 ubuntu1404to build the Linux box. If no option is passed to the script i.e.
.\build.ps1, then both the boxes are built.
- On Linux/OSX run
- If both the boxes were successfully built, run
vagrant upto start both. To start any one VM, you can use:
vagrant up ub1404: to start the Linux box
vagrant up win2k8: to start the Windows box
- When this process completes, you should be able to open the VM within VirtualBox and login. The default credentials are U:
To build manually:
- Clone this repo and navigate to the main directory.
- Build the base VM image by running
packer build --only=<provider>-iso ./packer/templates/windows_2008_r2.jsonwhere
<provider>is your preferred virtualization platform. Currently
vmwareproviders are supported. This will take a while the first time you run it since it has to download the OS installation ISO.
- After the base Vagrant box is created you need to add it to your Vagrant environment. This can be done with the command
vagrant box add packer/builds/windows_2008_r2_<provider>_0.1.0.box --name=metasploitable3-win2k8.
vagrant plugin install vagrant-reloadto install the reload vagrant provisioner if you haven't already.
- To start the VM, run the command
vagrant up win2k8. This will start up the VM and run all of the installation and configuration scripts necessary to set everything up. This takes about 10 minutes.
- Once this process completes, you can open up the VM within VirtualBox and login. The default credentials are U: vagrant and P: vagrant.
Thanks to Jeremy, you can also follow the steps in these videos to set up Metasploitable3:
The wiki has a lot more detail and serves as the main source of documentation. Please check it out.
The Windows portion of this project was based off of GitHub user joefitzgerald's packer-windows project. The Packer templates, original Vagrantfile, and installation answer files were used as the base template and built upon for the needs of this project.