Grokphoto is a professional photographer's client gallery solution.
This version is work in progress / port to rails 3.1.3
For the stable rails 2 version please see the version 2 branch: Version 2
- SQLite3 or MySQL or PostgreSQL
git clone git://github.com/rapind/grokphoto.git cd grokphoto bundle
Then edit these files with your own settings. Everything you need to change is marked with TODO along with instructions if necessary:
NOTE: You won't need to change all of these if you're deploying to Heroku. See Heroku Deployment below for details.
Then initialize the database and start the server:
rake db:create rake db:migrate rake db:seed rails s
At this point you should have a working site with some basic seed data that you can start to customize.
- Login to the administration area (/admin) using firstname.lastname@example.org / password
- Click on the Settings tab.
- Enter your own information and update the settings.
heroku create --stack cedar
Setup your own values in the next command, using your own email address, the name of your application for the session key and "rake secret" to generate a new secret key.
heroku config:add SENDER_EMAILemail@example.com SESSION_KEY=_change_me_to_your_app_name SECRET_KEY=result_of_rake_secret_goes_here git push heroku master heroku run rake db:migrate
Before you seed the database you'll need to setup an amazon s3 account and bucket to have somewhere to store the files. Heroku has a temporary filesystem which is not an appropriate place to store images.
- Go to: https://console.aws.amazon.com/s3/home
- Create a bucket
- Go to: https://aws-portal.amazon.com/gp/aws/developer/account/index.html
- Click on the Security Credentials in the left nav, then the Access Credentials in the body.
- Copy your S3 key and your S3 secret key
Use your S3 information to fill in the config vars for heroku, then seed the database.
heroku config:add S3_KEY=change_to_your_amazon_s3_key S3_SECRET=change_to_your_amazon_s3_secret S3_BUCKET=change_to_your_amazon_s3_bucket
You still need to specify a secret roken and session store key:
rake secret heroku config:add SESSION_KEY=_usually_you_app_name SECRET_TOKEN=token_from_rake_secret
The specify the email address to use when the system sends emails:
heroku config:add SENDER_EMAIL=_your_email_address
You can check to make sure all of your heroku environment variables have been properly set using:
Once done, seed the database and launch the app.
heroku run rake db:seed heroku open
- Personalize your site via the configuration / settings page.
- Manage and share private galleries with clients easily via secure URL.
- One-click photo uploads.
- Photo commenting system for both you and your clients.
- Basic view statistics / history for your client galleries.
To run the tests:
Sample photos were provided by and are copyright of Jaime Coyle Photography http://jaimecoyle.com
Grokphoto by http://github.com/rapind/grokphoto is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.5 Canada License.
Based on a work at github.com.