An IPython magic extension for printing date and time stamps, version numbers, and hardware information.
More examples can be found in this Jupyter notebook.
Installation and updating
The watermark line magic can be installed by executing
pip install watermark
Alternatively, you can install the latest development version directly from GitHub via
pip install -e git+https://github.com/rasbt/watermark#egg=watermark
To remove an old
watermark installation (installed via the deprecated
%install_ext magic extension), simply delete it from the
.ipython/extensions/ directory, which is typically located in a user's home directory.
After successful installation, the
watermark magic extension can be loaded via:
To get an overview of all available commands, type:
%watermark [-a AUTHOR] [-d] [-n] [-t] [-i] [-z] [-u] [-c CUSTOM_TIME] [-v] [-p PACKAGES] [-h] [-m] [-g] [-w] IPython magic function to print date/time stamps and various system information. optional arguments: -a AUTHOR, --author AUTHOR prints author name -d, --date prints current date as YYYY-mm-dd -n, --datename prints date with abbrv. day and month names -t, --time prints current time as HH-MM-SS -i, --iso8601 prints the combined date and time including the time zone in the ISO 8601 standard with UTC offset -z, --timezone appends the local time zone -u, --updated appends a string "Last updated: " -c CUSTOM_TIME, --custom_time CUSTOM_TIME prints a valid strftime() string -v, --python prints Python and IPython version -p PACKAGES, --packages PACKAGES prints versions of specified Python modules and packages -h, --hostname prints the host name -m, --machine prints system and machine info -g, --githash prints current Git commit hash -r, --gitrepo prints current Git remote address -b, --gitbranch prints the current Git branch (new in v1.6) -iv, --iversion print name and version of all imported packages -w, --watermark prints the current version of watermark
v. 1.6.1 (Jun 10, 2018)
- Now also includes the LICENSE file in the Python Wheels distribution
v. 1.6.0 (Jan 18, 2018)
- Adds a new
--gitbranchparameter that prints the current Git branch.
v. 1.5.0 (Aug 27, 2017)
- Adds a new
--iversionsparameter that prints the package names and version numbers of all packages that were previously imported in the current Python session. (Via contribution by Aziz Alto)
v. 1.4.0 (April 18, 2017)
- Adds a new
--gitrepoparameter that returns the URL of Git remote name "origin". (Via contribution by Lucy Park)
v. 1.3.4 (October 15, 2016)
- Allow fetching scikit-learn's version number via
-p scikit-learnin addition of
-p sklearn(the former is deprecated and will not be supported in watermark > 1.7).
v. 1.3.3 (September 1, 2016)
- Includes LICENSE in MANIFEST.in for packaging
v. 1.3.2 (August 16, 2016)
- Fixes an issue where the wrong package info was obtained when using the system level Jupyter within a virtualenv environment. (Via contribrution by Michael Bell)
- Adds a new
--iso8601parameter that returns the current date-time string in ISO 8601 format with offset to UTC. For instance:
2016-08-16T18:03:42-04:00. Current caveat: Python < 3.2 requires external libraries for for computing the timezone offset, thus, Python < 3.2 will currently only print
- Adds offsets to UTC to the default date-time string for Python >= 3.2
v. 1.3.1 (June 6, 2016)
- Fixes an issue that caused problems importing watermark using Python 2.x
v. 1.3.0 (May 21, 2016)
- Removed the deprecated the %install_ext magic so that watermark can now be installed as a regular python package via
pip(Via contribution by Peter Bull)
v. 1.2.3 (Jan 29, 2016)
- Changed date format to the unambiguous ISO-8601 format
- Ditched the deprecated %install_ext function and made watermark a proper Python package
- Released the new version under a more permissive newBSD license
v. 1.2.2 (Jun 17, 2015)
- Changed the default date-format of
--dateto MM/DD/YYYY, the format DD/MM/YYYY can be used via the shortcut
v. 1.2.1 (Mar 3, 2015)
- Small bugfix to allow custom time string formatting.
v. 1.2.0 (Oct 01, 2014)
--watermarkcommand added to print the current version of watermark.
- Print author name on a separate line
- Fixed bug that day takes the same value as the minute if the
-nflag is used.