Mobile Cloud Services Push Cordova SDK for IBM Bluemix
When you use Bluemix to create a Mobile Cloud Starter application, BlueMix provisions multiple services under a single application context. Your mobile application is given access to the following mobile services: Mobile Application Security, Push, and Mobile Data.
The Mobile Cloud Services Push SDK is a Cordova SDK you can use inside a Cordova
or IBM Worklight application. The
IBMPush SDK manages push notification through IBM Bluemix. This service is backed by Xtify and offers industry strenght push notifciations for IOS and Android. The Hybrid plugin allows the subscription to these notification.
##Installation The SDK may be installed either by downloading a zip file, or by installing the desired components using the Cordova tools. Using these tools can significantly shorten the startup time for new projects and lessen the burden of managing library version requirements as well as the dependencies between them. If you are using one of our samples, instructions for using the package manager is included with the documentation.
The Mobile Cloud Services SDK is a Cordova SDK you can use inside a Cordova or IBM Worklight application.
To create add a plugin to your project, you first need to have installed the Cordova tools and created a project. You can find more information on how to achieve this from the Cordova project Command Line Interface
Adding the plugin to your project
cordova plugin add com.ibm.mobile.cordova.ibmpush
Removing the plugin from your project
To uninstall the plugin use the following cordova command
cordova plugin remove com.ibm.mobile.cordova.ibmpush
Detailed instructions of how to use the plugin can be found in the Hybrid Getting Started Guide
To download a zip of the entire SDK, visit the Mobile Cloud starter page.
IBM Worklight is a Cordova based Hybrid application platform. You can find more information about IBM Worklight at this link IBM Worklight Foundation
Detailed instructions of how to install the plugin inside an IBM Worklight development environment can be found in the Getting Started Guide
- Reuse the code that is implemented within the Native toolkits, offering a single point of interaction between the Hybrid application and the BlueMix services.
- Use a single native domain for communication. Take advantage of a single point of security when communicating with BlueMix.
- Maintain security state of your application if the WebView is restarted on iOS (Apple 10 second rule).
- Communicate through the same technology channel with both both Native and Hybrid (Cross Platform) content.
- Improve performance when you are using the Native tier of the application for processing of requests.
The Cordova SDK contains the following components, any of which may be added to your project.
- ibmbluemix - This is the foundation of the SDK and controls connection and communication with Backend services
- ibmpush - This is the service SDK for push notification support
- ibmdata - This is the service SDK for cloud data storage
- ibmcloudcode - This is the service SDK for cloud code invocation
Services are associated with a Mobile Cloud application. Connectivity and interaction with these services depends on the application id, application secret, and application route associated with a Mobile Cloud Application.
IBMBluemix is the entry point for interacting with the Mobile Cloud Services SDKs. The method initialize must be invoked before any other API calls. IBM Bluemix provides information about the current SDK level and access to service SDKs.
- Mobile Cloud Services SDK Developer Guide
- Hybrid API Reference
- Samples and Tutorials
- Visit the Bluemix Developers Community
To learn more about Cordova and its related services and plugins, please consult the following resources:
Licensed Materials - Property of IBM (C) Copyright IBM Corp. 2013, 2014. All Rights Reserved. US Government Users Restricted Rights - Use, duplication or disclosure restricted by GSA ADP Schedule Contract with IBM Corp.