Installing for local development
- Install Jekyll on your machine. You can install Jekyll using this guide: https://jekyllrb.com/docs/installation/
- Download the master branch from the repository. ( If you downloaded a zip file, unzip it first. )
- Go to the root of the project and open '
_config.yml' in a text editor. Make necessary changes to the file. You may use the hints in the comments or follow the documentation at jekyllrb.com. Note: After any changes we make to this file, we need to build the site again using the command
- If you followed up the Jekyll installation using the guide in step 1, you can build up the site for first time using the command
bundle exec jekyll servein terminal.
- The site would be available at
Setting up jekyll-vfolio on GitHub pages to host your site.
- If you don't have a GitHub account, create one.
- Fork this repository and create a branch named gh-pages, then start editing the
_config.ymlfile. Delete the
favicon.icofiles. You may add your own
favicon.icofile as well.
- To start learning about the GitHub Pages you may visit our simple 'Hello-World' tutorial.
Setting up the Homepage
index.mdfile is the one which is use to serve the Homepage.
index.mdfiles has HTML snippet with
Liquid Syntaxwhich calls in data from the
- Use the
'_data/index.yml'file to make the changes.
Setting up the Film Reel pages
- Similarly find the appropriate files under
'_data'folder to make changes to the 'fiction-films' and 'non-fiction-films' pages.
'_data/film-reel.yml' file translates for the navigation on the site.
Text on the banner can be changed from
'_includes/banner.html' file. Make necessary changes under
News page is written in Markdown syntax ( except the line with
<h1> tag, this tag controls the title for this page ). To learn more about the markdown syntax follow this guide: https://www.markdownguide.org/basic-syntax
Note: The same guide can be used to edit or create the blog posts under
Awards & Recognition page
'awards-and-recognition.md' file to make changes to Awards & Recognition page. Markdown syntax is used here.
'contact.md'file controls the contact page. Find the following code in file and make changes accordingly:
<h1 class="text-title text-center">CONTACT</h1> <p class="text-center">If you have a project to develop or have any question you would like to ask me, feel free to get in touch.</p> <p class="text-center">Please, contact me at <a href="mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org">email@example.com</a></p> <img class="img-fluid center-block" src="/img/paperplane.png" aria-hidden="true" alt="">
Setting up Google-Analytics
To use it simply paste your Google-Analytics tracking ID in front 'google-analytics:' key in
_config.yml file. Rebuild the site and we will be ready to use Google-Analytics.
Note: It would be turned off for the local-development environment. So, your browsing through pages while you are still developing and editing won't affect the metrics.