Agency Jekyll Theme
Preview - click for live demo
⚠️Notice for those using legacy Formspree contact forms: ⚠️
Email-based forms are being phased out by Formspree. #11 updated this theme to use the new Formspree structure. Click here for instructions on updating your site's form.
This is the Agency Bootstrap theme, converted to a gem-based Jekyll theme with GitHub Pages support.
While this has been done before, here, here, and here, these are outdated and have not been updated or maintained for years. I built this theme from the most recent Bootstrap source.
I also added a lot of new features that go beyond the original theme's capabilities:
- GitHub Pages support
- template repo to get up and running in minutes
- contact form functionality powered by Formspree.io
- multiple language support (currently English, Spanish, & German)
- custom pages
- 404 page
- Google Analytics support
- Markdown support
- custom images
- logo support (instead of just title text)
- automatically updating copyright years
- custom navigation bar, even without the header image(s)
- customizable footer
- custom accent color and dark/light colors
- horizontal scrolling support for client section
The Jekyll structure of this theme includes:
_portfoliofiles - what generate the portfolio grid. YAML front matter handles all the details
pagelayout allows custom pages, as seen in the legal and 404 pages
sitetext.ymlenables complete customization of all site text
navigation.ymlenables fully customizable navigation
style.ymlenables fully customizable colors, background images, and other style-related things
If you enjoy this theme, please consider supporting me to continue developing and maintaining it.
There are three ways to install this theme:
- As a gem-based theme
- Use the starter template (best for GitHub Pages)
- As a remote theme
1. Gem-based Theme Installation
Replace the contents of your
_config.yml file with the sample _config.yml.
Install the gem with:
$ bundle add jekyll-agency
- Add this line to your Jekyll site's
- Then execute:
$ bundle install
Starter Template2. Using the
This is the fastest and easiest way to get up and running on GitHub Pages.
Simply generate your own repository by clicking the button below. Then replace the sample content with your own and configure for your needs.
3. Remote Theme Installation
_config.yml file with the starter _config.yml.
Gemfile with the starter Gemfile.
Then install gems.
$ bundle install
This project is intended to be a welcoming space for collaboration. If you have an idea, suggestion, feature request, etc., feel free to open an issue or pull request.
For bug reports, follow the provided template.
Improvements - Up for Grabs
- multiple language support thanks to @rbenitezpagan
- Spanish thanks to @rbenitezpagan
- German thanks to @bkfirmen
- customizable background coloring for each section
To set up your environment to develop this theme, clone this repo or your fork.
$ git clone https://github.com/raviriley/agency-jekyll-theme.git $ cd agency-jekyll-theme
$ bundle install
To test the theme, run this. (Using the
--trace flag for verbose errors.)
$ bundle exec jekyll serve --trace
Then open your browser at:
Add pages, documents, data, etc. like normal to test the theme's contents. As you make modifications, your site will regenerate and you should see the changes in the browser after a refresh.
The theme is available as open source under the terms of the MIT License.