Marvin is a shell script to set up an Mac OS laptop for development.
It can be run multiple times on the same machine safely. It installs, upgrades, or skips packages based on what is already installed on the machine.
- macOS Mavericks (10.9)
- macOS Yosemite (10.10)
- macOS El Capitan (10.11)
- macOS Sierra (10.12)
Older versions may work but aren't regularly tested. Bug reports for older versions are welcome.
In your Terminal window, copy and paste the command below, then press return.
curl --silent https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ravisuhag/marvin/master/mac | sh 2>&1 | tee ~/marvin.log
The script itself is available in this repo for you to review if you want to see what it does and how it works.
Once the script is done, quit and relaunch Terminal.
It is highly recommended to run the script regularly to keep your computer up to date. Once the script has been installed, you'll be able to run it at your convenience by typing laptop and pressing return in your Terminal.
Your last marvin run will be saved to
Read through it to see if you can debug the issue yourself.
If not, copy the lines where the script failed into a
new GitHub Issue for us.
Or, attach the whole log file as an attachment.
What it sets up
Mac OS tools:
- Homebrew for managing operating system libraries.
- Git for version control
- OpenSSL for Transport Layer Security (TLS)
- The Silver Searcher for finding things in files
- Zsh as your shell
- Go programming language by google
- Ruby a dynamic programming language with a focus on simplicity and productivity
- Clojure a dynamic, general-purpose programming language
- Java java Runtime Environment
- NPM node package manager
- Rbenv for managing versions of Ruby
- Ruby Build for installing Rubies
- Bundler for managing Ruby libraries
- Leiningen for automating Clojure projects
- Glide package Management for Go
- Consul service Discovery and Configuration Made Easy
- Zookeeper develop and maintain an open-source servers
- Kafka a distributed streaming platform
- GRPC a high performance, open-source universal RPC framework
- Image Magick to create, edit, compose, or convert bitmap images
- Heroku Toolbelt for interacting with the Heroku API
- Vagrant for development environments
- Chef for automating your infrastructure
- Postgres for storing relational data
- Redis for storing key-value data
- My Sql for storing relational data
- Mongo DB for storing non relational data
- youtube-dl download videos from YouTube
- htop interactive system-monitor
- tig text-mode interface for git
- logstalgia Website Access Log Visualization
- git-extras repo summary, repl, changelog population, author commit percentages
- fasd command-line productivity booster
- VLC media player
- Transmission bit torrent client
- Atom a hackable text editor
- Sublime Text sophisticated text editor for code
- Android Studio official IDE for Android
- Iterm mac terminal replacement
- Chrome fast, free web browser
- Blisk a browser for web developers
- Firefox a web browser by mozilla
- Sip collect, organize & share your colors
- Resolutionator embiggen your display
- Flux software to make your life better
- 1Password password manager
- Dropbox cloud file storage
- Google Drive safe place for your files
- Github Desktop collaboration from your desktop
- Virtual Box powerful virtualization tool
- Slack where work happens
- Rescuetime track app usages
- Tunnelblick free software for OpenVPN
- Spotify listen to your fav music
- Skype free calls to friends and family
- Postico a modern postgres client
- Mysql Workbench mysql client
- Dash offline access to API documentation sets.
- Tunnelbear Secure VPN service
It should take less than 20 minutes to install (depends on your machine).
brew install shellcheck
Thank you, contributors!
marvin is inspired by laptop script, customized for my own needs. It is free software, and may be redistributed under the terms specified in the LICENSE file.