An uncomplicated XML vocabulary for authors of research articles, textbooks, and monographs.
Be sure to checkout the dev branch, master is currently a fiction.
Quickstart instructions at project website: mathbook.pugetsound.edu
Help and development discussions:
PreTeXt is guided by the following principles:
- PreTeXt is a markup language that captures the structure of textbooks and research papers.
- PreTeXt is human-readable and human-writable.
- PreTeXt documents serve as a single source which can be easily converted to multiple other formats, current and future.
- PreTeXt respects the good design practices which have been developed over the past centuries.
- PreTeXt makes it easy for authors to implement features which are both common and reasonable.
- PreTeXt supports online documents which make use of the full capabilities of the Web.
- PreTeXt output is styled by selecting from a list of available templates, relieving the author of the burden involved in micromanaging the output format.
- PreTeXt is free: the software is available at no cost, with an open license. The use of PreTeXt does not impose any constraints on documents prepared with the system.
- PreTeXt is not a closed system: documents can be converted to LaTeX and then developed using standard LaTeX tools.