Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Welcome to the readium-2 wiki!
Work plan for the Readium-2 project
Initially, the WG was targeting a project in three main phases:
- The definition of a global architecture for the new SDK, plus a target budget and planning for the development;
- The definition of the API to be used by the Reading Systems using SDK;
This plan was change late-2016, and we chose another path:
- focusing on the EPUB 3 parsing side first, creating what we call a "streamer", i.e. a software that parses EPUB files and exposes a JSON manifest plus all publications resources via http;
- implement a prototype in Golang, then in Swift, refine the architecture and API using these prototypes;
- then focus on the rendering part, defining its architecture and implementing it in different languages for different environments.
After a document has been finalized, it will be copied in a Github Page (using a gh-pages branch).
Daily communication will be handled via a "readium-2" channel on the Readium Slack (https://readium.slack.com). You can get an invite for the Readium Slack using http://readium-slack.herokuapp.com/ , and the readium-2 channel is public.
We'll have a call each Wednesday, from 15:30 UTC (summer) or 16:30 UTC (winter), for 1.30 hour max.
We'll plan an F2F meeting in January 2017, to assert which issues are finalized and can be closed, brainstorm or open/difficult issues. If one meeting (either in Europe or in the US) is complex and expensive to setup, we could decide to setup 2 parallel meetings on each side of the Atlantic, and use some common time (15:00 to 18:00 UTC) to have a common brainstorm.