Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Document expected delay on CNAME change and need for CAA #4487

Merged
merged 2 commits into from Aug 10, 2018
Merged

Document expected delay on CNAME change and need for CAA #4487

merged 2 commits into from Aug 10, 2018

Conversation

@nijel
Copy link
Contributor

@nijel nijel commented Aug 7, 2018

The SSL certificate issuing takes about one hour in this case according to comment in #2652.

@davidfischer
Copy link
Contributor

@davidfischer davidfischer commented Aug 7, 2018

This is only the case for users who had an existing custom domain setup and then corrected their setup to comply with the custom domains docs. This doesn't apply to new setups. Perhaps there's a way to make that clear.

Loading

@nijel
Copy link
Contributor Author

@nijel nijel commented Aug 8, 2018

Also one hour apparently is not enough. It took more than 12 hours with docs.weblate.org, I've switched docs.phpmyadmin.net about two hours ago and still not working...

Loading

@davidfischer
Copy link
Contributor

@davidfischer davidfischer commented Aug 8, 2018

Also one hour apparently is not enough. It took more than 12 hours with docs.weblate.org

Did you have a CAA record on that domain? It may have been due to that.

docs.phpmyadmin.net

I don't even see that domain in the list of certificates that are pending. I see rtd-backend.phpmyadmin.net, but not docs.phpmyadmin.net. It is possible since we switched over a few weeks ago that the request to issue the certificate timed out. If you save the domain record in the Read the Docs UI (https://readthedocs.org/dashboard/<slug>/domains/), it should trigger adding the certificate again.

The real answer here is I need to get this status raised up to users in the UI.

Loading

@nijel
Copy link
Contributor Author

@nijel nijel commented Aug 9, 2018

Loading

@nijel
Copy link
Contributor Author

@nijel nijel commented Aug 9, 2018

Loading

@davidfischer
Copy link
Contributor

@davidfischer davidfischer commented Aug 9, 2018

The real answer here is I need to get this status raised up to users in the UI.

I got the UI display in #3987 which should go live within a week.

Loading

Copy link
Contributor

@davidfischer davidfischer left a comment

Would it be possible to also add the message about CAA here?

Loading

@@ -52,6 +52,8 @@ This service is generously provided by Cloudflare.
or another variation. While these continue to resolve,
they do not yet allow us to acquire SSL certificates for those domains.
Simply point the CNAME to ``readthedocs.io``.

If you change the CNAME, the SSL certificate issuance will take about one hour.
Copy link
Contributor

@davidfischer davidfischer Aug 9, 2018

Choose a reason for hiding this comment

The reason will be displayed to describe this comment to others. Learn more.

nitpick: I prefer "can take" rather than "will take" especially since for a new CNAME (as opposed to a changed one) this should be almost immediate.

Loading

nijel added 2 commits Aug 10, 2018
The SSL certificate issuing takes about one hour in this case according to comment in #2652.
@nijel
Copy link
Contributor Author

@nijel nijel commented Aug 10, 2018

I've added CAA docs and adjusted wording based on your suggestion.

Loading

@nijel nijel changed the title Document expected delay on CNAME change Document expected delay on CNAME change and need for CAA Aug 10, 2018
@davidfischer
Copy link
Contributor

@davidfischer davidfischer commented Aug 10, 2018

Thanks. Looks great!

Loading

@davidfischer davidfischer merged commit a7d100d into readthedocs:master Aug 10, 2018
1 check passed
Loading
@nijel nijel deleted the patch-1 branch Aug 10, 2018
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
None yet
Projects
None yet
Linked issues

Successfully merging this pull request may close these issues.

None yet

2 participants