A Scanning App that uses IBM's Watson to perform dynamic analysis on any photos it is given.
Scanner is an app that demonstrates the event handling capabilities of the Realm Mobile Platform. Combining the deep machine learning capabilities of IBM's Bluemix technology, it is able to take any photograph, and return a textual analysis of the contents in that photograph.
- Powered by the Realm Mobile Platform Professional Edition.
- Performs subject analysis on any photos loaded into it.
- Uses RMP as a transport mechanism for sending the data to Watson.
Run The Demo
- Xcode 8.1 or higher
Steps To Run
For a fully in-depth tutorial on running the Scanner app along with the Realm Object Server, please see the Scanner tutorial on the Realm website.
1. Setting up the Mobile App
- Navigate to the Scanner directory in Terminal and enter
pod installto install Realm into the Scanner app.
- Open the
Scanner.xcworkspacefile in Xcode.
- In the command line, go to the
Androiddirectory and run
2. Setting up the Realm Mobile Platform
- Download the Professional Edition of the Realm Mobile Platform from the Realm website.
- Start the Mobile Platform by running the
start-object-server.command. Locate and copy the server "Admin Token" -- on macOS the admin access token is displayed in the Terminal window opened when you launch the server; on Linux it is located in the file
- If your web browser doesn't open automatically, open it, and navigate to 'http://localhost:9080'.
- Register a user account with the username
email@example.com the password
3. Running the Scanner Global Listener
Server/index.jsand replace the
BLUEMIX_API_KEYvalues with the token and key values that you've previously acquired.
- Navigate to the
Serverdirectory in Terminal, and run
npm installto install the Global Listener and the required supporting modules for the IBM Bluemix service.
node index.jsto start the Global Listener. The Mobile Platform Terminal window should print an authorized connection.
4. Running the Scanner app
- Build and run the Scanner app from Xcode / Android Studio on the Mac that is currently running the Mobile Platform and the Global Listener processes.
- Tap the camera icon to take a photo of something (people, places, etc).
- The app will then start uploading the image, and will return annotations to the image when it is complete.
See CONTRIBUTING.md for more details!