First Redox ISO Release
This is a test release to see if the new live disk works correctly on a number of different machines. The correct file to download is livedisk.iso.
- Using a virtual machine like VirtualBox or QEMU is recommended but not required.
- It is recommended to give the VM at least 1024 MB of memory. No disk space is required.
- If you want to install to a USB stick, please use
isohybrid. Future releases will do this automatically.
- The display will be set to 1024x768. This is intentional, to avoid errors with mode setting. Selection of the resolution will be available in future releases.
- Use the F1, F2, F3, and F4 keys to select a virtual screen. F1 is the debug console, F2 and F3 are virtual terminals, and F4 is the orbital GUI
- The only supported network cards are the Intel 8254x and RTL8169. The Intel 8254x is available in VirtualBox and in QEMU.
What to Test
- Please try the GUI, and typical Unix commands in the terminal emulator.
- Networking may be available if you have a supported card and are using DHCP. The browser is incomplete and not expected to support most sites.
- Any unexpected behavior should be reported, particularly any crashes or halts.
Where to Talk
- Please report any issues discovered, however big or small here: https://github.com/redox-os/redox/issues
- Our website is here: https://redox-os.org. We post news there from time to time.
- We have a forum here that you may use to talk about Redox: https://discourse.redox-os.org/
- We have a subreddit here: https://reddit.com/r/redox/
- We have an IRC at irc.mozilla.org #redox
- For email inquiries, including invites to the developer chat, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Example VirtualBox Configuration
OS: Other/Unknown (64-bit)
Base Memory: 1024MB or more
Acceleration: VT-x/AMD-V, Nested Paging, PAE/NX, KVM Paravirtualization
Pointing Device: PS/2 Mouse
Extended Features: Enable I/O APIC
Video Memory: 32MB
Remote Desktop Server: Disabled
Video Capture: Disabled
SATA Port 0: [Optical Drive] with the LiveCD ISO file
Host Driver: DirectSound (on Windows), PulseAudio (on Linux), ??? (on MacOS)
Controller: ICH AC97
Adapter 1: Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (NAT) (82540EM)