It is very difficult to delete the web, so embrace your history :) Inspired by https://blog.archive.org/2013/10/25/fixing-broken-links/, I made some ways to make sure your old web history from an old site is preservable.
The current method uses default github pages 404.html page to load a static page which checks Wayback Machine for last snapshot and shows a link.
With github pages
- Make a file like 404.md
- Copy and paste raw file like this: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rejon/rejon.org/master/404.md
- Found that you need a super stripped down and simple layout so create directory at root
_layoutsif does not exist.
- You may copy my super simple layout, or make an even simpler one: https://github.com/rejon/rejon.org/blob/master/_layouts/blank.html
- Then, Commit and Push your changes.
- Try a bad url :)
- Then you may customize your 404 page to your hearts content.
- make it work with loading immediately
- with option make it load with timeout