Conflicts: gemrc zshrc
Prevents error on re-running ./install.sh: fatal: destination path '~/.vim/bundle/vundle' already exists and is not an empty directory. thoughtbot#195
Previously, only `*.md` files would get spell-checking. This change adds `*.markdown` and decouples Markdown spell-checking by file extension. http://robots.thoughtbot.com/vim-spell-checking/
There are many workarounds to the zsh: no matches found: ... issue, but let's just stop it at its core: turn off that `nomatch` functionality. Apologies to all who enjoy seeing the pun around: % got a light? zsh: no matches found: light? But all good shell puns must come to an end.  http://robots.thoughtbot.com/post/18129303042/how-to-use-arguments-in-a-rake-task  http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/susan/joke/unix.htm
Using the `commit.template` setting, read in a commit message template for each commit. This template is commented out so the commit message author doesn't need to delete it. The template serves as a reminder on how to write a better commit message. The bullets are taken from Caleb's blog post. There is no _problem_ per se -- we are writing good messages these days -- but it's handy to be reminded of things to think about. For example, people often forget to note whether there are any side effects. This message does not show on `git commit --amend`, only normal `git commit`.  http://bit.ly/13HWyiy
It is a common practice to store environment variables in a .env file in development. This file is read by tools such as foreman and dotenv. This file can contain sensitive information such as secret keys and should always be excluded from version control
* Automatically :write before commands such as `:next` or `:!` * Saves keystrokes by eliminating writes before running tests, etc * See `:help 'autowrite'` for more information
The previous setting frequently slowed my ability to edit.
It gets very annoying to manually force CtrlP to re-index every time I add a new file. Since ag is so fast, we can turn off caching when it powers CtrlP without any noticeable impact on search speed.
* Colorize output * Run tests in random order * Profile 5 (default of 10 is too noisy)
Newer versions of vim (such as 7.3.923) syntax highlight Rackup and JSON files correctly. In the interest of keeping the dotfiles slim and our machines up-to-date, I think the solution is to remove these from dotfiles and install a newer version of vim in thoughtbot/laptop: thoughtbot/laptop#118
* sass gets compiled to `tmp/sass-cache` with Rails * vendor/bundle_gems seems like an arbitrary vendor directory * vim/.netrwhist is for a plugin we no longer use
* haml, html and markdown highlight still work without these plugins * treetop and textile are likely very situational * unsure if anyone is using greplace
This was loading up the environment four times when it really only needs to happen twice.
The primary use case for me is to `git push staging` and `git push production` from the master branch using our typical git workflow: https://github.com/thoughtbot/guides/tree/master/protocol#deploy
It has been superceded by a `.local` suffix convention.
* assumes same directory existance * allows for easier addition of personal configs
* Bash users experience errors when using the double-escaped spaces for the CtrlP-SilverSearcher integration. Thanks to @adamyonk for raising this issue
When logging into a new shell, users see a banner such as: Last login: Sun Jun 23 11:41:42 on ttys007 Adding an empty ~/.hushlogin file turns that banner off: http://kb.iu.edu/data/acdd.html