The central idea of the Web of needs is this: the WWW looks like a marketplace; everyone knows what there is for sale, only a few know what is needed. We want to change that.
The central point is the 'need', which we represent as a linked data resource. It names communication protocol endpoints that can be used to contact its owner and provide information about interesting other 'needs'.
Web of needs is built of
- won-node: the server component hosting the needs
- won-owner: a simple application allowing for enduser need management
- and a matching-service: currently implemented as a crawler that contacts needs (via the protocol endpoints) whenever it finds a good match.
Requirements for getting started:
- jdk 1.6 or later
- maven 2 or later
- tomcat 6 or later as application-server
For Build instructions and more detailed information, please consult the wiki.
To prevent reinventing the wheel every single day, we come back to existing (old) technology for the matching services:
- siren -> http://siren.sindice.com/
- triplestore(virtuoso) -> http://virtuoso.openlinksw.com/
- solr -> http://lucene.apache.org/solr/
- ldspider -> https://code.google.com/p/ldspider/ __________________________________________________________________________________________
- all needs and offers will be saved there
- needs are managed by the won-owner
- the matching-service crawls the won-nodes and looks for need and offer entries with corresponding values.