README of git-ftp
- © René Moser, firstname.lastname@example.org, 2010-2012
- This application is licenced under GNU General Public License, Version 3.0
This is free and open source software. If you like and use it, flattr it (flattr?). Thx.
Git powered FTP client written as shell script.
I use git-ftp for my script based projects, mostly PHP. Most of the low-cost web hosting companies do not provide SSH or git support, but only FTP.
That is why I needed an easy way to deploy my git tracked projects. Instead of transfering the whole project, I thought, why not only transfer the files that changed since the last time, git can tell me those files.
Even if you are playing with different branches, git-ftp knows which files are different. No ordinary FTP client can do that.
- See git-ftp issues on GitHub for open issues
See INSTALL file.
$ cd my_git_tracked_project $ git ftp push --user <user> --passwd <password> ftp://host.example.com/public_html
For interactive password prompt use:
$ git ftp push -u <user> -p - ftp://host.example.com/public_html
Pushing for the first time:
$ git ftp init -u <user> -p - ftp://host.example.com/public_html
See man page for more options, features and examples!
- Windows and OS X: I am very limited in testing on Windows and OS X. Thanks for helping me out fixing bugs on these platforms.
- git-ftp as deployment tool: git-ftp was not designed as centralized deployment tool. While running git-ftp, you have to take care, no one pushes or touches this repo (e.g. no commits, no checkouts, no file modifications)!
Core functionality is unit tested on Linux using shunit2. You can find the tests in
Don't hesitate to use GitHub to improve this tool. Don't forget to add yourself to the AUTHORS file.