Testing and validation of REST services in Java is harder than in dynamic languages such as Ruby and Groovy. REST Assured brings the simplicity of using these languages into the Java domain.
- 2018-08-17: REST Assured 3.1.1 is released with bug fixes and improvements. See change log for details.
- 2018-04-20: REST Assured 3.1.0 is released. This release includes fixes and improvements such as ability to resolve and include additional parameters in a form authentication request (see here for example) and ability to extract values from a
RequestSpecification. Please see release notes and getting started guide for more details.
- 2018-02-09: REST Assured 3.0.7 is released with bug fixes and improvements. See change log for details.
Here's an example of how to make a GET request and validate the JSON or XML response:
Get and verify all winner ids:
get("/lotto").then().assertThat().body("lotto.winners.winnerId", hasItems(23, 54));
given(). param("key1", "value1"). param("key2", "value2"). when(). post("/somewhere"). then(). body(containsString("OK"));
Using X-Path (XML only):
given(). params("firstName", "John", "lastName", "Doe"). when(). post("/greetMe"). then(). body(hasXPath("/greeting/firstName[text()='John']")).
Need authentication? REST Assured provides several authentication mechanisms:
Getting and parsing a response body:
// Example with JsonPath String json = get("/lotto").asString() List<String> winnderIds = from(json).get("lotto.winners.winnerId"); // Example with XmlPath String xml = post("/shopping").andReturn().body().asString() Node category = from(xml).get("shopping.category");
REST Assured supports any HTTP method but has explicit support for POST, GET, PUT, DELETE, OPTIONS, PATCH and HEAD and includes specifying and validating e.g. parameters, headers, cookies and body easily.
- Getting started
- Usage Guide (click here for legacy documentation)
- Rest Assured Javadoc
- Rest AssuredMockMvc Javadoc
- XmlPath Javadoc
- JsonPath Javadoc
- Release Notes
Support and discussion
Join the mailing list at our Google group.