Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 31 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
When you are learning to program, the most useful thing to have is a goal that you are trying to accomplish.
There are many boilerplates that you can use as starting points for new projects. It's always a good idea to check out how other people organize projects in different languages and environments to get an idea of the paradigms and patterns used.
If you can't think of anything you want to build, here are some project suggestions.
Compile and run a basic C program
- Read Intro To C
- Start with printing "Hello, World" - video tutorial
- Ask the user for their name, and greet them with
- Create a "password" program
- Create a calculator
Start writing python
- Do the Python Tutorial
- Print "Hello, world"
- Write an HTTP client to make Slackbot talk
- Write an IRC bot to sit in a Slack channel and respond to commands (Slack IRC gateway info)
- Do the flask tutorial - shows you how to create a basic web application, step by step.
Configure a Webserver
- Install nginx on your linux vagrant VM
- Configure nginx to serve up an HTML document
Get comfortable with the linux command-line
Basic networking and administration
- Set up a DHCP server on linux
- Watch HTTP requests with Wireshark
- Configure linux to be a router
- Set up a DNS server