Skillet roasted chicken
- Chicken (I usually get a chicken weighing around 1.2 - 1.3 kilograms[^1]. I find this fits nicely in my skillet with a bit of extra room)
- Bay leaves (2)
- Thyme (a bunch)
- Garlic (4 cloves, gently crushed)
- Olive oil
- Chilli oil (or Tabasco/whatever takes your fancy)
Step 1: Prepare the chicken
- Check the chicken fits in the skillet.
- Splay the chicken's legs so to spread eagle them.
- Take 2 cloves of the crushed garlic and place them where you made the cuts to splay the chicken[^2].
- Stick the bunch of thyme, bay leaves and other 2 cloves of the crushed garlic in the chicken cavity.
Step 2: Cook the chicken!
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- When the oven is at the correct temperature, whack a glug of olive oil in the pan and stick it in the oven to preheat the pan.
- Once the oil is hot and smoking slightly place the chicken in the pan[^3].
- Drizzle the chilli oil over the chicken and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for around 45 minutes to an hour, checking every 15 minutes or so. If the chicken looks like it's starting to burn then cover loosely with tin foil.
- Leave to rest for 10 minutes then serve.
[^1]: I find this chicken weight fits nicely in my skillet with a bit of extra room. Your mileage may vary.
[^2]: I have no idea why I do this but I find the chicken tastes nicer than it does if I don't do it.
[^3]: Push the splayed chicken legs against when pan so they sear. Careful! The skillet gets very hot.