Instagib game using WebGL, Dart and Q3DM17 - The Longest Yard
This is a project written in Dart trying to bring the frantic instagib gameplay from the Quake 3 map The Longest Yard (q3dm17) to the web.
It is a work in progress and NOT finished yet!
Here is a playable alpha: https://rhulha.github.io/Instagib/
In a way this project is the culmination of my life's passion. I have been a fan of John Carmack ever since I played Quake 1. With the release of Quake 3 I finally started getting into mod making having been a fan and player of many Quake 2 mods myself. My first dip into the water resulted in me writing a tutorial on weapon dropping for planetquake/code3arena 17 years ago. Then I got a gig on a mod team trying to create a realistic shooter. We didn't finish our work, but I learned a lot about teamwork. In the end I went on to write two mods alone, one where you had to buy your weapons for frags and one where all players would hunt one very powerful player, which got featured on an italian game magazine disc. My love for quake 3 has never wavered and ever since I learned about WebGL I wanted to try to port the instagib gameplay to the web.
- browser based gaming
- textureless TRON inspired render style
- BSP and MD3 processing
- curved surfaces collision detection
Installation / How to use
No installation needed, just point your browser to: https://rhulha.github.io/Instagib/
- The middle jump pad gets you stuck many times
- If you jump against a ceiling you get stuck
- If you have an idea why this is happening I would appreciate you opening an issue.
Missing features / TODOs
- Model rendering (MD3)
- Networking (using WebSockets)
- test if strafe jumping works as expected
Issues / Bug reports
Please write detailed information
Detailed information is very helpful to understand an issue.
- How to reproduce the issue, step-by-step.
- The expected behavior (or what is wrong).
- Screenshots for GUI issues.
- The operating system.
will be added on request
- jump pads work now (Here is the story behind why it took me 2 years to complete this)
- Move around map with realistic physics incl. colliding against curved sourfaces
- Added railgun visual effect and sound and jump sound
- Move around map with realistic physics incl. colliding against floors and walls
- Render q3dm17 with curved sourfaces (Thanks Toji)
- Render q3dm17 without curved sourfaces
Contribute / Pull Requests
Pull Requests are always welcome.
- The man, the legend: John Carmack
- Brandon Jones (Toji) for his awesome q3tourney2 demo which helped me getting started a ton.
- Kekoa Proudfoot (Mr Alligator) for his excellent Quake 3 map specs document. (I recommend to read the q3 source code regarding map loading, right after reading Kekoa's specs)
- OpenArena for the sounds OpenArena
GPL v2 (Same as the Quake3 source code)