A collection of tutorials for the OpenTracing API (https://opentracing.io).
Also check out examples from the book Mastering Distributed Tracing:
- Chapter 4: Instrumentation Basics with OpenTracing
- Chapter 5: Instrumentation of Asynchronous Applications
- Chapter 7: Tracing with Service Mesh
- Chapter 11: Integration with Metrics and Logs
- Chapter 12: Gathering Insights Through Data Mining
The tutorials are using CNCF Jaeger (https://jaegertracing.io) as the tracing backend. For this tutorial, we'll start Jaeger via Docker with the default in-memory storage, exposing only the required ports. We'll also enable "debug" level logging:
docker run \ --rm \ -p 6831:6831/udp \ -p 6832:6832/udp \ -p 16686:16686 \ jaegertracing/all-in-one:1.7 \ --log-level=debug
Alternatively, Jaeger can be downloaded as a binary called
all-in-one for different platforms from https://jaegertracing.io/download/.
Once the backend starts, the Jaeger UI will be accessible at http://localhost:16686.