Rolling with Alexa
This repo is the source code for the talk
Voice User Interfaces with Alexa and Node.js presented at the Rolling Scopes #49 Kraków edition.
Checkout the slides!
Clone and install
> git clone https://github.com/ricardocasares/rolling-with-alexa.git > cd rolling-with-alexa > npm install # or yarn
- Signup for an Amazon developer account if you haven't one
- Go to the Alexa Console and create a new Skill
- Choose the skill Name, and select Custom Skill
- Under the
Interaction Modelsidebar menu, click on
JSON Editorand copy/paste the JSON under
- Save & build your skill.
Local server tunneling
In order to develop locally and see your changes reflected instantly, you will need to create an SSH tunnel or expose somehow your local development server. There are several services that allow you to do this, for example
This is the easiest to setup
- You need to have an SSH client installed, then simply run
> ssh -R 80:localhost:3000 serveo.net Forwarding HTTP traffic from [https://YOUR_URL] Press g to start a GUI session and ctrl-c to quit.
- Once you see the URL, copy it and go to your Skill console.
- Open the
Endpointmenu and select
Default Regionpaste the previous URL you copied.
- On the select box choose:
My development endpoint is a sub-domain of a domain that has a wildcard certificate from a certificate authority.
- You are done! Just run
npm run devor
yarn devto start the local server and begin testing the skill.
npm install ngrok
ngrok http 3000
- Copy the URL and follow the same steps above from 3 to 6.
Feel free to submit a pull request or create a new issue.