Azure Superseded Instance Types Policy
What it does
This Policy Template is used to automatically resize Azure Resource Manager Instances (VMs) based on user-defined standards. For example, the Policy allows for a Disallowed Instance Type and its corresponding Superseded Instance Type. If any Instances are found using the Disallowed type, they will be included in the corresponing Policy Incident. Upon approval, Cloud Workflow will resize the Instance to the Superseded type.
- Azure Service Principal (AKA Azure Active Directory Application) with the appropriate permissions to manage resources in the target subscription
- The following RightScale Credentials
- Follow steps to Create an Azure Active Directory Application
- Grant the Azure AD Application access to the necessary subscription(s)
- Retrieve the Application ID & Authentication Key
- Create RightScale Credentials with values that match the Application ID (Credential name:
AZURE_APPLICATION_ID) & Authentication Key (Credential name:
- Retrieve your Tenant ID
- This policy supports a single old-to-new instance type mapping. To apply this policy for multiple old-to-new instance type scenarios, the policy will need to be applied multiple times. This will allow for flexibility in managing applied policies.
- The Exclusion Tag parameter is a string value. Supply the Tag Key only. Tag Values are not analyzed and therefore are not need. If the exclusion tag key is used on an Instance, that Instance is presumed to be exempt from this policy.
- Upon Approval, the Instances that appear in the Incident will be immediately stopped, resized, and started via Cloud Workflow.
- If an Instance is in an Availability Set, the Instance will not be considered for resizing and will not appear in the Incident.
This policy has the following input parameters required when launching the policy.
- Azure AD Tenant ID - the Azure AD Tenant ID used for the Azure API Authentication
- Azure Subscription ID - the Azure Subscription ID used for the Azure API Authentication
- Disallowed Instance Type - a single Azure instance type that should be resized
- Superseded Instance Type - the new Azure instance type that instances should be resized to
- Exclusion Tag Key - an Azure-native instance tag to ignore instances that match the disallowed instance type. Only supply the tag key
- Email addresses of the recipients you wish to notify - A list of email addresses to notify
- Azure Resource Manager
This Policy Template does not incur any cloud costs.