GUI / Authoring Tool for ImpressJS
This project intends to create an extensible, maintainable, and clean editor for authoring ImpressJS presentations. I hope this project can also serve as an example of a browser based rich client as the project matures.
Don't know what ImpressJS is? Check out the ImpressJS demo presentation: http://bartaz.github.com/impress.js/#/bored And here is a video of the very first version of Strut: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA5s8wwme44
Strut live preview (Firefox, Chrome and Safari only): http://tantaman.github.com/Strut/web-dist/index.html
A github hosted preview is available at: http://tantaman.github.com/Strut/web-dist/index.html (Firefox, Chrome and Safari only)
The preview currently points to the development version of Strut.
Note: You can get pre-built versions of Strut here: https://github.com/tantaman/Strut/downloads
You'll need CoffeeScript and Handlebars installed in order to build Strut, as well as some ruby gems.
- Install CoffeeScript (sudo npm install -g coffee-script)
- Install HandleBars (sudo npm install -g handlebars)
- Install bundler (sudo gem install bundler)
bundlein the root Strut directory
To build everything in one shot, run:
To build and minify everything for a production deployment, run:
rake productionbuild (the production build will put its results into web-dist instead of web)
You can produce a new devbuild whenever a resource in the Strut directory changes by running
guard from the root Strut directory.
Strut can run entirely from your local filesystem.
Just point your browser to
file:///path/to/Strut/web/index.html to view Strut.
Strut uses a Maven directory layout so code and resource will be found in
Strut there is an object for each major component. The
etc. all have their own objects so it's easy to
track down and make changes to a component.
Strut uses RequireJS to keep source files small and
focused. BackboneJS is used for
Strut's data model and serialization as well as for binding events in the
Here is the basic layout of the source:
- Presentation Model: src/model/presentation
- Editor UI Layer: src/ui/editor
- Model -> ImpressJS Rendering: src/ui/impress_renderer
templates for UI components are contained in src/ui/COMPONENT_NAME/res/templates in order to package related markup and backing UI (not model) code into modules.
- ImpressJS (of course) https://github.com/bartaz/impress.js/
- BackboneJS http://documentcloud.github.com/backbone/
- CoffeeScript http://coffeescript.org/
- RequireJS http://requirejs.org/
- JQuery http://jquery.com/
- Rake http://rubyforge.org/projects/rake/
- HandlebarsJS http://handlebarsjs.com/
- DustJS http://akdubya.github.com/dustjs/
- Impressionist https://github.com/hsivaramx/Impressionist