Hacker News on the Terminal.
- Install with
gem install hacker_term
- Run using
See the front page of HN, use the arrow keys to browse and open particular items in the default system browser.
- Uses the Ruby
curseslibrary to create a terminal UI.
- Captures keyboard events to allow browsing of the HN front page from the terminal.
- Tested (and looks colourful) on OSX Mountain Lion, but some functionality may be lost on other flavours of Linux.
- Ditto the above point if using something other than the basic OSX terminal application.
- Uses the HN feed available at http://hndroidapi.appspot.com - without that resource this project would not exist.
- Sorting options included.
- Some stats included.
- Blog post here: http://flydillonfly.wordpress.com/2013/01/01/hacker-news-in-your-terminal/
This project was created to allow me to scratch a particular programming itch after reading about https://github.com/etsy/mctop. It brought me back to my days in college coding in C where everything was a terminal program!
Please enjoy/contribute/ignore as you see fit.