UxStyle is a bit of software that relaxes Windows theme signature requirements to enable third-party customization. Specifically, UxStyle consists of a tiny system service and a kernel driver that are loaded into memory where they hang out until reboot. No file system changes are made.
(First introduced on March 19, 2009.)
Operating System Support
- Windows codenamed "Whistler" (escrow builds)
- Windows XP
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
- Windows 8
- Windows 8.1
- Windows Server 2003
- Windows Server 2008
- Windows Server 2008 R2
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows codenamed "Threshold"
- Windows 10 Technical Preview
- Visual Studio 2013
- Windows Driver Kit (WDK) for Windows 8.1
- Windows Software Development Kit for Windows 8.1
- WiX Toolset v3.8 (untested with newer)
Note about code signing
Starting with Windows Vista, the kernel-mode code signing policy controls whether a kernel-mode driver will be loaded. The signing requirements depend on the version of the Windows operating system and on whether the driver is being signed for public release or by a development team during the development and test of a driver.
More information can be found via the resources below:
- Kernel-Mode Code Signing Requirements
- Cross-Certificates for Kernel Mode Code Signing
- Driver Signing Policy
Legacy Windows users: Pay particular attention to the hashing algorithm used in your code signing certificate. Windows 7 and below do not support the loading of kernel drivers signed with newer SHA-2-based certificates.
More information can be found in Microsoft Security Advisory 2880823.
Open UxStyle.sln and start a Batch Build for the following project configurations:
- UnsignedThemes (x64, Release)
- UnsignedThemes (x86, Release)
- UxPatch (x86, Win 8 Release)
- UxPatch (x64, Win 8 Release)
Manually sign build artifacts:
Return to Visual Studio and Batch Build the following project configurations:
- Installer (x64, Release)
- Installer (x86, Release)
(optional) Manually sign build artifacts:
Return to Visual Studio and build Bundle (x86, Release).
Manually sign build artifact \bin\bundle\Release\UxStyle_Bundle.exe