genxword-gtk is a version of genxword that uses a graphical user interface (gui).
For more information about the command line version, go to the home page of this wiki
- Create the word list
- click on the New word list button to write a new list OR
- click on the Open word list button to open an existing word list
- How to format the word list
- Calculate the crossword
- click on the Calculate crossword button to create the crossword
- click on the Calculate crossword button again if you want to recalculate the crossword
- click on the Recalculate button to increase the grid size and then recalculate the crossword
- click on the New word list button to go back to the word list and edit it further
- Save the crossword
- when you are happy with the crossword, click the Save button to save it
Before saving the crossword, you will need to decide which format you want it saved as, by clicking on the appropriate entry on the Save the crossword as bar, and write the name of the crossword in the box on the bottom row of the main window. When you save the crossword, the word list will also be saved.
If you want to choose the grid size yourself, you need to enable that option in the Crossword menu, and then enter the number of rows and columns you want. Make sure you that you separate these with a comma. If you enable this option after calculating the crossword, you will need to go back to the word list, by clicking on the New word list button, before calculating it with your chosen grid size.
Clicking on the Help button will open the help page in your web browser.
Example crosswords created by genxword
In addition to python and python-cairo (pycairo), genxword-gtk also depends on python-gobject (pygobject or python-gi) and gtksourceview3 (gir1.2-gtksource-3.0). To use this program with Python 3, you need to install the Python 3 versions of the above programs.