VS Code extension to easily co-author a commit message from the source control panel.
Helpful when pair programming.
Open VS Code and search for "git-mob" in Extensions panel.
Via the terminal
code --install-extension RichardKotze.git-mob
If you also use git-mob cli they work fine together.
Select co-authors -
⌘+⇧+p -> "Select co-authors". Use the multi-selector to add and remove co-authors.
Solo - clear all selected co-authors:
⌘+⇧+p -> "Solo: remove all co-authors"
Saving your co-authors
To keep track of co-authors git-mob uses a JSON file called
.git-coauthors, and will try to find it in the following directories:
GITMOB_COAUTHORS_PATHenvironment variable is set this will override any other settings.
- If the current Git repository has a
.git-coauthorsfile in the root directory.
- The default is the users home directory at
- Append multiple co-authors to a commit message
- Select multiple co-authors (
⌘) in SCM panel view
- Easily add co-author data by searching repository contributors co-authors from the "More Authors" list.
- After a commit remove all selected co-authors
- Workspace support, multiple Git repositories
- Search and add co-authors from GitHub using anonymous email
- Change primary author
- Right-click and copy co-author data.
- Add emojis to commits (Gitmojis)
- Configurable see setting options
- Global Git Mob meaning switch between projects will have same co-authors selected. (
prepare-commit-msghook support removed (
Add new co-authors
⌘+⇧+p -> "Add new co-author". Fill in all input fields.
⌘+⇧+p -> "Open .git-coauthors file" or use UI to open co-authors file
Add from repository contributors
Click the plus + button on an author in More Authors list.
Search repository contributors co-authors
Click the search icon on the More Authors section or
⌘+⇧+p -> "Search Git repository for co-authors".
Select one of multiple open Git repositories and add co-author metadata to source control input field. You can have different co-authors applied to all the open Git repositories.
Using the standardised list from Gitmoji.
Search and select an emoji to add to the Git message input field.
⌘+⇧+p -> "Search Gitmojis - emojis"
Change primary author
⌘+⇧+p -> "Change primary author"
Post commit -> Solo
After a commit remove selected co-authors. If you commit in the command-line the UI will update as well.
Author list -> Expand more authors
Expand 'More Authors' tree when UI starts.
Author list -> More Authors To Co-authoring
Add a new author directly to 'Co-authoring' from 'More Authors'.
Github -> Personal Access Token
Optional: if you want the users public email then you will need the PAT.
Default will return the anonymous GitHub email.
- Visit GitHub > settings > tokens
- Click "generate new token"
- Select "user:read" (This allows GitMob to fetch a users public email)
Co-authors -> Sort direction
Co-author list sorting direction.