Czeslaw Milosz was the writer-in-residence at UNC c. 1992. I used to see him all the time at the Hardback Cafe, always sitting at a two-top drinking coffee, reading, writing, eating chips and salsa. I remember a gentleness behind the enormous bushy eyebrows and that we called him Coleslaw. - anon
Coleslaw aims to be flexible blog software suitable for replacing a single-user static site compiler such as Jekyll.
- Git for storage
- RSS and Atom feeds!
- Markdown Support with Code Highlighting provided by colorize.
- Currently supports: Common Lisp, Emacs Lisp, Scheme, C, C++, Java, Python, Erlang, Haskell, Obj-C, Diff.
Multi-site publishing support.
- Comments via Disqus
- Analytics via Google
- Hosting via Github Pages
- Deploying to Amazon S3
- Using LaTeX (inside pairs of $$) via Mathjax
- Using ReStructured Text
- Sitemap generation
- Importing posts from wordpress
There is also a Heroku buildpack maintained by Jose Pereira.
- Example sites: redlinernotes and Nothing Really Matters.
This software should be portable to any conforming Common Lisp implementation but this guide will assume SBCL is installed. Testing has also been done on CCL. Server side setup:
- Setup git and create a bare repo as shown here.
- Install Lisp and Quicklisp.
wget -c https://raw.github.com/redline6561/coleslaw/master/examples/single-site.coleslawrc -O ~/.coleslawrc# and edit as necessary
wget -c https://raw.github.com/redline6561/coleslaw/master/examples/example.post-receive -O your-blog.git/hooks/post-receive# and edit as necessary
chmod +x your-blog/.git/hooks/post-receive
- Create or clone your blog repo locally. Add your server as a remote with
git remote add prod email@example.com:path/to/repo.git
- Point the web server of your choice at the symlink /path/to/deploy-dir/.curr/
Now whenever you push a new commit to the server, coleslaw will update your blog automatically! You may need to git push -u prod master the first time.
The Post Format
Coleslaw expects post files to be formatted as follows:
;;;;; title: foo tags: bar, baz date: yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss format: html (for raw html) or md (for markdown) ;;;;; your post
A default theme, hyde, is provided. Themes are made using Google's closure-template and the source for hyde should be simple and instructive until I can provide better docs.