Spider Navigation Plugin For Unreal Engine 4
It implements custom navigation system suitable for spiders. Navigation grid builds on floors, walls, ceilings.
How it works
To build grid
- Scene filled up with special actors
Tracerin specified volume with specified step.
- From each tracer plugin traces to the nearest WorldStatic.
- At point of the hit it spawns actor
NavPointwith some offset.
- From each
NavPointplugin check sphere collision with the othe nearest
- Checks visibility between these two actors. If they are visible to each other - add connection. If not - add to the list of pissible neighbors.
- Iterates the list of pissible neighbors and traces in 6 directions from each of two points for possible connection through an edge.
Checks visibility between points of intersection. If a point of intersection is visible to each of two points - add a new point
NavPointEdgeand connections between them.
To find path
- Plugin implements A* to find path. Can return a normal to each navigation point.
Plugin contains auxiliary blueprints for movement on this grid:
- SpiderAIController - containts the main code of movement on the spider grid
- SpiderPawn - Simple Pawn without any code
- SpiderBB - Demo Blackboard
- SpiderBT - Demo Behaviour Tree
- SpiderAgroCheck - Behaviour Task
- SpiderCloseEnough - Behaviour Decorator
- SpiderIsAtLocation - Behaviour Decorator
- SpiderIsTargetMoved - Behaviour Decorator
- SpiderMoveToLocation - Behaviour Task
- SpiderRapidMoveTo - Behaviour Task
- Close your project in UE4
- Download plugin sources
- Copy it into your project in
Projectfolder. Make sure the path
- Rebuild your project. If you have non-c++ project, then add in the editor one empty c++ class and then rebuild project in VS.
- Run project. Be sure that SpiderNavigation plugin is enabled in Editor's Plugins menu.
- Switch on the view option in the
View Options(bottom right corner) to show plugin content.
- Click on
Choose a path- a small button to left of Content path with icon of open folder. Choose
SpiderPawnon the scene.
- Adjust the size of the
DebugSpiderNavGridBuilderBPto match size of your level.
DebugSpiderNavigationBPscene instance choose
Auto Receive Input:
Player 0to enable hotkeys of navaigation.
- Click on
Rbutton to rebuild navigation grid. Press
Qbutton to show navigation grid.
Plugin autosaves navigation grid. Try to click
Spider pawn should follow you.
Here is a video guide:
MoveSpeed- How fast spiders move
RotationSpeed- How fast spiders rotate for each next navigation point
MustCheckTargetVisibility- Whether a spider must trace the target by the visibility channel to follow it
GridStepSize- The minimum distance between tracers. Should not be less then 40 (calculates too long)
ActorsWhiteList- The list of actors which could have navigation points on them
bUseActorWhiteList- Whether to use
ActorsBlackList- The list of actors which COULD NOT have navigation points on them
bUseActorBlackList- Whether to use
bAutoRemoveTracers- For debug. If false then all tracers remain on the scene after grid rebuild
bAutoSaveGrid- Whether to save the navigation grid after rebuild
BounceNavDistance- How far put navigation point from a WorldStatic face
TraceDistanceModificator- How far to trace from tracers. Multiplier of
ClosePointsFilterModificator- How close navigation points can be to each other. Multiplier of
ConnectionSphereRadiusModificator- The radius of a sphere to find neighbors of each
NavPoint. Multiplier of
TraceDistanceForEdgesModificator- How far to trace from each
NavPointto find intersection through egdes of possible neightbors. Multiplier of
EgdeDeviationModificator- How far can be one trace line from other trace line near the point of intersection when checking possible neightbors. Multiplier of
Tracer Actor BP- For debug. Blueprint class which will be used to spawn actors on scene in specified volume
NavPointActorBP- For debug. Blueprint class which will be used to spawn Navigation Points
NavPointEgdeActorBP- For debug. Blueprint class which will be used to spawn Navigation Points on egdes when checking possible neightbors
bAutoLoadGrid- Whether to load the navigation grid on BeginPlay
Blueprint functions from the plugin
The MIT License
Copyright (C) 2017 Roman Nix
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.