|Author:||Robert Ian Hawdon (email@example.com)|
DF-SHOW (Directory File Show) is a Unix-like rewrite of some of the applications from Larry Kroeker's DF-EDIT (Directory File Editor) for MS-DOS and PC-DOS systems, based on the Version 2.3d release from 1986.
The show application lets users view the names of files and directories on a disk with information about the files. Files can be copied, moved, viewed, and edited (in your system's default editor). The application is run using the
show command. The output is similar to the
ls command. A file view is also included which can be invoked using the
- List files. DF-SHOW's primary function is to display a list of files on a system, in an interactive display allowing users' to browse up and down large lists of files in a directory.
- View files. The ability to quickly peek into text files makes DF-SHOW a powerful tool for power users, this function uses the default pager defined in the user's system environment or the included
- Edit files. Whilst DF-SHOW doesn't come with a text editor like DF-EDIT (for the reason there are many good, well established text editors already available), it can launch the user's default text editor for any given selected file.
- Copy files. DF-SHOW can copy files to another destination.
- Rename files. Users' can move files to a different file name.
- Delete files. DF-SHOW also removes files at the user's request.
- Create directories. Users' are also able to create new directories from within the DF-SHOW interface.
- Update permissions. Owners, groups, and permissions can be set within the application.
- Hunt within files. Find files in a directory containing a string.
- Execute applications. Files with execution permissions can be launched from withing DF-SHOW.
Releases of DF-SHOW are available in the AUR
curl -L https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/snapshot/dfshow.tar.gz | tar xz cd dfshow makepkg -srci
The latest cutting edge versions from the
master branch are also available in the AUR
curl -L https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/snapshot/dfshow-git.tar.gz | tar xz cd dfshow-git makepkg -srci
Run the following to install DF-SHOW from the offical PPA
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ian-hawdon/dfshow sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install dfshow
RPM Based Distributions
Building from Git
Download the project and prepare sources with
git clone https://github.com/roberthawdon/dfshow cd dfshow ./bootstrap
Build DF-SHOW with
sudo make install
The show directory utility is invoked with the following command:
The <directory_name> parameter can by any directory the current user has access to on the system, similar to the
ls command. Using
/ will take the user to the root directory of the system.
If the show directory utility is invoked without specifing a directory, then the current directory is displayed.
The show file utility is invoked with the following command:
The <file> parameter can be any file the current user has access to on the system. If the show file utility is invoked without specifing a file, then the user is prompted to load a file within the application.
SF - Show File