How to make Manchester Evening News part of the fabric of the city.
Exploring what lies between the physical newspaper and the digital web/app. What are the physical manifestations of news in a city? The project targets the mobile audience and the local audience.
- 'rain' - tells you if it's going to rain in the next hour
- 'latest' - gets the latest local story from MEN
- 'popular' - gets the hottest social story from greater Manchester from MEN
- 'burger' - recommends a burger place nearby
- 'vote' - shows a candidate standing in the general election
- 'safe' - gets the crime rate cf nearby crime rates
- 'random crime' - shows a local crime and its outcome from crime stats for December 2014
- 'talk' - a question and answer. Needs 'answer' in user answer to continue the conversation
Running chatbot-twitter Locally
You can test your hubot by running the following.
You can start chatbot-twitter locally by running:
An example script is included at
scripts/example.coffee, so check it out to
get started, along with the Scripting Guide.
For many common tasks, there's a good chance someone has already one to do just the thing.
There will inevitably be functionality that everyone will want. Instead of writing it yourself, you can check hubot-scripts for existing scripts.
To enable scripts from the hubot-scripts package, add the script name with
extension as a double quoted string to the
hubot-scripts.json file in this
Hubot is able to load scripts from third-party
npm package. Check the package's documentation, but in general it is:
- Add the packages as dependencies into your
npm installto make sure those packages are installed
- Add the package name to
external-scripts.jsonas a double quoted string
You can review
external-scripts.json to see what is included by default.
Restart the bot
You may want to get comfortable with
heroku logs and
if you're having issues.