After a few years of attempting to maintain this script, I'll be archiving this project. It is not possible to even use the Roblox Studio in Wine anymore. If there is a hope for running Roblox on Linux, I'll gladly unarchive this project, but until then, this project is on hiatus. Thank you, everyone, for your support over the years!
As of September 2015, this script does not work with the latest versions of ROBLOX. No ETA for a fix is available.
This script is neither created nor officially supported by Roblox. It is unofficial and may be unstable. Use at your own risk. To install wine, please see the official WineHQ documentation on how to install the appropriate version of Wine for your system. This program does not install Wine for you.
If you plan on reporting issues, please read CONTRIBUTING.md before doing so. Thanks!
You should have Wine installed already. Install the appropriate version of
wine from this page. I recommend wine-staging as it has the latest fixes and highest probability of working.
.deb binaries for Debian / Ubuntu users on the releases page.
Debian/Ubuntu users can also use GLolol's repository at http://packages.overdrivenetworks.com/:
- Run the following command to add the repository:
echo 'deb http://packages.overdrivenetworks.com/ rlw main' | sudo tee --append /etc/apt/sources.list > /dev/null
- Install the repository's PGP key (this will prevent unauthenticated package errors):
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-key E71C0B9D
- Install the Roblox Linux Wrapper package. Dependencies will be automatically installed, and updates applied automatically when you upgrade your system:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install roblox-linux-wrapper
To install Roblox on your Linux computer from Git source, run the following commands in a terminal:
git clone https://github.com/roblox-linux-wrapper/roblox-linux-wrapper.git roblox-linux-wrapper/rlw
If you are saavy enough, you can also clone to a custom directory of your choice.
Roblox Linux Wrapper is very volatile, and updates are released very often, so please check for updates frequently.
- Note the version you have installed.
- If the version present here is newer, download it and install it via your package manager.
- If you have enabled the APT repository, updates to the wrapper will come with system updates in the next release.
from Git source
- Open a terminal, change to the directory you installed.
git pullinside the terminal while in that directory.
Diagnosing the game
Often times, a Roblox update breaks compatibility with the Roblox Linux Wrapper. Many of these changes will require an update to wine, which may come out months after the issue is introduced. In order to circumvent this issue, the wrapper now allows you to choose either wine or wine-staging, to allow you to use the release of wine that works best for you. It will ask you upon launching, and there is also an option labelled "Select Wine Release" in the launcher.
- If wine works fine, keep using wine.
- If wine-staging works, keep using it. Do note that wine-staging is pre-release software - you may encounter issues.
Questions and Answers
Q: How do I install this?
- A: See the Installation section.
Q: What do I do if the game is very slow?
- A: Open Roblox Studio settings, change
- A: Open Roblox Studio settings, change
Q: It tells me there is a syntax error, or I'm having another problem.
- A: Download the script again and retry. If the same thing occurs, open a new issue here.
Q: Roblox isn't behaving like it should.
- A: Select the "Reinstall Roblox" option and press "Ok". If you continue having problems, file a bug report here.
Q: What is the "Play Roblox (Legacy Mode)" option?
- A: This is the old method used to launch games. Paste the game link in and click "Play" to launch the game.
Q: It keeps telling me "Missing Dependencies"!
- A: Then install it! If it tells you "Please install wine", then install Wine. It does not install these dependencies automatically. To install the latest version of Wine, visit https://www.winehq.org/download/.
- wine or wine-staging (whichever works best for you)
Licensing and copyright
Copyright © 2016 Jonathan Alfonso
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation file (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
The red Roblox "R" symbol is property and copyright of 2006-2015 Roblox Corporation. We do not claim any ownership, nor affiliation with Roblox, nor its staff or software. No changes to the core Roblox software are made in this program. No proprietary files are bundled in this software.
If you like my work, you can show your support with donations :)