ComicasterJS is a web-based comic reader and boilerplate for publishing comics or other sequential art galleries. It's a way to publish a set of comics with a reading experience that feels more like an e-reader and less like a blog.
Tested on the latest chrome, Safari, and Firefox. Also tested in mobile WebKit and mobile chrome.
The first chapter of my comic Art Geek Zoo: The Way of Sound.
Installation and Directions
- Clone or download this project
- Add your comic artwork to the images folder
- Customize index.html:
- Page title and meta data
- Edit the <section> elements: add one or two images to each
- The section elements are super powerful and have many options you can use such as custom backgrounds and more via RevealJS.
- Edit the menu text and links
- Customize the styles in comicasterjs.css
- fonts: web font(s) or common desktop fonts
- change additional styles as needed
- Test > tweak > publish > repeat until you have the content and look and feel that's right for your comic.
- an e-reader style user interface (UI) for a web comic
- responsive layout and minimalist UI
- desktop and touch interface support
- drag to scroll the view
- mouse wheel to scroll the view
- four levels of page zoom
- remembers the reader's furthest page, prompts to continue upon returning
- an action menu with thumbnail navigation
- basic help, available via the action menu
- open source
- extremely customizable
Built Upon Other Projects
I'm very grateful for each of these projects: